Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Approved After Initial Decline/Glitch

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Approved After Initial Decline/Glitch

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance. In the past 6 months I have not been automatically approved for 2 cards: Ny & CO and now Platinum Amex. The irony is that I have FICO scores between 816-827 ( all 3 bureaus) and income of $200K. 

In the first instance with NY &CO, I was sent a letter. I called and was immediately approved over the phone. I just applied for the Platinum AMEX so I do not know the rationale yet.

Per MYFICO. com I am utilizing 5% of my available credit and have no late payments, chargeoffs, foreclosures, etc. My credit is flawless.

I am wondering if I should contact the Bureaus or if anyone else has had this issue. It is as though there is some type of fraud alert on my credit.

Again, thank you for any and all input. This is something I wish to resolve straight away.

Mod note:  I've updated your thread subject to reflect your approval; feel free to edit/change if you would like.  --UncleB

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card declinations

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance. In the past 6 months I have not been automatically approved for 2 cards: Ny & CO and now Platinum Amex. The irony is that I have FICO scores between 816-827 ( all 3 bureaus) and income of $200K. 

In the first instance with NY &CO, I was sent a letter. I called and was immediately approved over the phone. I just applied for the Platinum AMEX so I do not know the rationale yet.

Per MYFICO. com I am utilizing 5% of my available credit and have no late payments, chargeoffs, foreclosures, etc. My credit is flawless.

I am wondering if I should contact the Bureaus or if anyone else has had this issue. It is as though there is some type of fraud alert on my credit.

Again, thank you for any and all input. This is something I wish to resolve straight away.

Even though I dont have any certain answers, I figured I'd like to help anyone with "namaste" in their name.  Smiley Happy  

Did you ask each of the 2 banks what their reason for not automatically approving you was?  If it were me, that would be my first step.   I'm guessing others will have other ideas.  With AMEX, I might lean toward it being something as simple as them wanting to verify your address.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums

While it is always a good idea to review your reports from time to time, I doubt that there are issues with them.  A lot of creditors are hesitant to give out instant approvals for a variety of reasons, including identity verification as mentioned.  There is a lot of identity theft these days so banks are cautious. I have scores in the low 800s along with adequate income and the vast majority of of my card approvals have not been instant and that includes two Amex Platinum cards.  If you're ultimately approved then I wouldn't look upon this as something negative but more a reflection of the times.  Often you will find that the approvals will follow the application in a few days and it's not even necessary to call in.  Good luck with the Amex application and with that one, go ahead and give them a call.  I'm sure you'll be approved. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Computers really don't have any leeway when it comes to processing online credit card applications, they can only say yes or no according to whatever information they retrieve from the CRA's servers or has been programmed into them at the bank or inputted by you during the application. A lot of people have found - as you did with NY & Co. - that it often works better to talk to a live person at the lender so that you can discuss the application in detail with them and give them any additional information they require.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The irony is your credit scores scare them.  They want to see how much you spend monthly since you seem to PIF.  If you are not a big spender they will not make swipe fees as well as no monthly interest.

They just want to see what your behavior to get those scores is.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums

While it is always a good idea to review your reports from time to time, I doubt that there are issues with them.  A lot of creditors are hesitant to give out instant approvals for a variety of reasons, including identity verification as mentioned.  There is a lot of identity theft these days so banks are cautious. I have scores in the low 800s along with adequate income and the vast majority of of my card approvals have not been instant and that includes two Amex Platinum cards.  If you're ultimately approved then I wouldn't look upon this as something negative but more a reflection of the times.  Often you will find that the approvals will follow the application in a few days and it's not even necessary to call in.  Good luck with the Amex application and with that one, go ahead and give them a call.  I'm sure you'll be approved. 

I'm baffled... There must be something that's spooking those particular companies. When I applied for my Platinum, the approval was instant and I was N O W H E R E near your income and Fico score status... All I had from them at that time was a 3k limit EveryDay card... Baffling indeed.

P.S. They emailed me and invited me to apply for it. Knowing what I know from here about it being an SP unless they approved me, no harm... I stared at the screen for literally several minues at the approval page. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. Platinum AMEX was approved over the phone. The rep said that there was a system glitch and they received multiple applications from me consecutively, so they declined. A 10 minute phone call did the trick.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your response. You were correct. Quick call and I was approved. WIth all the ID theft occurring I was concerned.

Message 8 of 12
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Platinum Approved After Initial Decline/Glitch

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for your response. You were correct. Quick call and I was approved. WIth all the ID theft occurring I was concerned.

Congrats on the approval, @Anonymous!  screamer.gif

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.