cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum Qualification Requirements (with a checkered history)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Platinum Qualification Requirements (with a checkered history)

Hi Everyone.. I'm looking for some advice here.

I recently improved my FICO score (from approx. 670-690 for the past 5 years) by paying off a large outstanding amount (approx. $4000) and now have less than 20% utilization across 2 cards. My FICO scores have dramatically improved over the last 2 months with Experian - 718, Equifax - 721 and Transunion - 772. However, I had a combined pretty low credit limit - BOA ($2,100) and USBank ($3,100), even though my income was $175K-$200K. I have historically just used my debit card for all purchases and not really taken my credit issues into control till this past month. Anyways - now that I am on the mend, I have been making great progress.

So I went ahead and applied for a new card yesterday - the Citi AAdvantage Platinum MasterCard (given the rewards program & 50,000 miles) and I was immediately approved with a $19,200 credit limit!! This is obviously very exciting!!

So I have always wanted an Amex Platinum card and I'm curious as to how long I should wait before applying given a couple of (not so good) factors:

1) I used to have an Amex Gold card many years ago when I was just out of college, approx. 2005 and that card was charged off and closed by Amex in or around 2006. I know that Amex keeps a long history, so I'm not sure how this charge off would affect me today, i.e. 8 years later.

2) I have had an Amex Corporate Card (Green and then most recently Platinum) for the past 8 years (with my previous employer who I am no longer with as of September) and always carried a balance and had late payments and paid interest and fees etc. No excuses here - I was just really bad at managing my outstanding balance and making regular payments since I was responsible getting reimbursed from my employer and then paying off the balance.

My real question here is - would my poor corporate card management preclude me from ever getting a personal amex card going forward? How does Amex manage / segregate corporate card usage for the same individual when applying for  personal amex card? Or do they look at everything for the same person? 

3) From a credit history perspective, the only negative checkmark that I currently have are a few past due payments: 30 days past due (Jun 2014 & Jun 2012) and a 60 days past due (Dec 2011). I presume these will take a while to get taken off my history - so it's something I am going to have to manage. However, it obviously didn't play a role in my Citi AAdvantage approval with $19,200 CL.

4) My credit limit was prety low - $5200 (up until yesterday) when I got approved for the Citi AAdvantage $19,200 limit

I'd really appreciate your insight here.

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum Qualification Requirements (with a checkered history)

Do you get a prequal offer for the plat on AMEX site?

That will stop the guessing.i think

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. I just checked and there are no pre-quals.

Do you think I may have to wait a while given the recent changes to my credit, improved credit line etc? Any other thoughts?

Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit jumped and I picked up a larger trade line, took about three weeks total after the FICO increase and two weeks after the larger CL card for me to get AMEX preapprovals.

Then again I'm blacklisted from Chase after a charge off from 6 years ago and their site immediately declines me when I check preapprovals there.

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

okat gotcha. I will give it a couple of weeks and check back.  Thanks for the response!

Message 5 of 27
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

For Corporate users, the main account holder would be responsible for all charges made on another cardholders account. Just apply, nobody can give you a more accurate answer than Amex themselves. Worst case scenario, you are denied.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood. Another question I have is should I apply for the Platinum Card right off or try for a the Amex Everyday Credit Card or the Delta Gold Card, which might be easier to get and then later trade upto a Platinum Card? Most forums believe that the underwriting criteria is pretty much the same, so it doesn't make a difference. Thoughts? 

Message 7 of 27
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

You may be better off getting the Platinum first. The criteria is the same for all Amex Charge cards, yes. A revolver can't be changed to a Platinum card in the future so you will have to apply for the Platinum card anyway. Go for the one you want. Don't try to take any backdoors to get to the Platinum because you just don't know if that door will open or what even awaits behind that mysterious door. Just go straight into it. You have a better chance at a charge card anyway since you must PIF by the due date and you can't revolve debt.

Message 8 of 27
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Go for the plat first if that is the card you really want!
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great. I think that makes sense.

One last question - should I give it a while before I apply for the Platinum Card since I just applied for the Citi AAdvantage card yesterday? I would think that I should wait atleast one billing cycle (so early December) where all 3 bureaus have my updated credit limit - from $5,200 to now $24,400. The Amex credit check will be my third hit in the last 4 months. 

I obviously am trying to be patient and maximize my chances. Thanks again.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.