cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Platinum to Costco Card AMEX, Hilton Honors AMEX, Capital One Venture, or CSP?

tag
kclb
Regular Contributor

Amex Platinum to Costco Card AMEX, Hilton Honors AMEX, Capital One Venture, or CSP?

Aloha peeps...

I've had my AMEX Platinum for almost a year now and decided that I don't really use the benefits of that card. So I plan to close it. I want to get one of the four cc that I listed...times are hard nowadays so I want to get the card that would benefit me the most... Smiley Very Happy

Capital One was my first CC that I got back in 1998 but I missed some payment(s) with them. I wonder if I can reapply? I'd like to re-establish good history with them if possible.

Which one is "easier" to get? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!~

Mahalos!

Tony

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum to Costco Card AMEX, Hilton Honors AMEX, Capital One Venture, or CSP?

My thoughts:

1) Capital One Venture - I personally loathe Capital One and do everything possible to stay away fom them.. I have such a bad taste in my mouth fom my sub-prime days with them, that I just can't bringmyself to go back to them when there are so many better lenders out here!

2) Costco Amex - I'm not a Costco shopper, hence I've never really considered the card. I also don't think the rewards are fantastic. There are better no-fee cash back cards out there like the US Bank Cash+ card that I just apped for. 

3) Hilton Amex - I have the Hilton Amex card, but with the introduction of the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card, there's just no comparison. The Gold status alone is worth the annual fee. Beyond that, the 2 free nights on signup can be worth upwards of $1500. The nights can even be used at (standard reward) Waldorf Astoria hotels. 

4) Amex Platinum - I agree with you. While I'm a big fan of Amex charge cards, the value on the membership rewards points just is not there. IMHO, the perks of the plat card don't warrant that hefty fee. Hence, I've hung on to my PRG... for now. 

My vote for the best go-to card is the CSP. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is actually the best card out there for those looking for travel rewards. Period.

Why:

1) By booking travel through the Ultimate Rewards website, you're able to earn 3 points per dollar on hotel and airfare. Incredible. This is far better than even the United MileagePlus Explorer or Club Card (which carries a hefty annual fee of $395)! CSP also earn 2 points per dollar on all other travel and dining purchases.

2) No foreign transaction fees on CSP

3) 7% yearly point dividend on CSP

4) 20% fewer points required if "paying with points" (Amex is a 1:1 ratio, CSP is 0.8:1 ratio)

5) No point transfer fees. It really sucks to pay MR transfer fees. 

6) Visa signature cards offer price protection - "You made an eligible purchase last week, and now it's on sale at your local retailer. With price protection, you can be reimbursed for the difference when you use your Card (up to $500 per item)." Awesome benefit

7) Again, while I absolutely love Amex, it's not accepted everywhere. I'd say it's accepted at about 80-90% of the places I've wanted to use it.

Hope this helps. 

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 2 of 21
kclb
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum to Costco Card AMEX, Hilton Honors AMEX, Capital One Venture, or CSP?

Aloha!

Thanks for the input and info! Yeah, I just noticed the Citi HHonors card. That sounds pretty good w/ the Gold Hhonors status as long as you have the card. I heard that you have to have a high credit limit for CSP. I don't have high limits on my credit cards...

Time to think about it...

Mahalos!~

Tony

-
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Message 3 of 21
DailyDriver
Valued Member

The no fee Amex hilton is good to have for access to AXON and GLON reward redemptions.

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 4 of 21
kclb
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the input...

I guess another deciding factor is - no foreign transaction fees. I'm planning to go Japan/Korea in a few months and it would be nice to save some money...I only found Capital One, CSP, and CitiCard Hhonors Reserve with no fees...

Hmm...k.

-
-
-
Message 5 of 21
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@kclb wrote:

Aloha!

Thanks for the input and info! Yeah, I just noticed the Citi HHonors card. That sounds pretty good w/ the Gold Hhonors status as long as you have the card. I heard that you have to have a high credit limit for CSP. I don't have high limits on my credit cards...

Time to think about it...

Mahalos!~

Tony

Glad to help!

You are correct, you would need a minimum CL of $5,000 for the CSP. I will say this much... The Chase recon line is fantastic!

Good luck!

Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 6 of 21
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@DailyDriver wrote:

The no fee Amex hilton is good to have for access to AXON and GLON reward redemptions.

While this is true, the Hilton VIP rewards (as a HHonors Gold) are almost identical to the AXON/GLON rewards. 

Message 7 of 21
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@kclb wrote:

Thanks for the input...

I guess another deciding factor is - no foreign transaction fees. I'm planning to go Japan/Korea in a few months and it would be nice to save some money...I only found Capital One, CSP, and CitiCard Hhonors Reserve with no fees...

Hmm...k.

Ok.  There are others with no foreign transaction fees. Citi TY Premier and PenFed Promise are also great examples. It's all a matter of what you're looking to get out of your card. If you're looking for travel rewards, I would still recommend the CSP. 

Message 8 of 21
kclb
Regular Contributor

I think I'm going to try both CSP and Citi Hhonors. ha.

I wonder what will happen...I used to have Citi but closed it awhile back...had decent history w/ them though...

-
-
-
Message 9 of 21
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Just kidding, it looks like you are looking at much fancier cards.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.