Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex apply from within website

tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Re: Amex apply from within website

Isn't every approval once you're a card member (and obviously before memebrship) a HP and every denial a SP?

Message 11 of 23
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Isn't every approval once you're a card member (and obviously before memebrship) a HP and every denial a SP?

For the most part, yes. This isn't a 100% thing though. Like everything else in the world of credit, YMMV

Message 12 of 23
Shock
Established Contributor

Hard pulls are important if you're rebuilding or rounding out your profile. Most people here are.

jsucool76 wrote: 
Application is submitted. Cancelling it now most likely won't stop a HP. lol. 
Everyone on myfico is so inquiry conscious. They go away. Y'all acting like HPs are the end of the world. 

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 13 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would let it roll... the HP is really not the end of the world.  What could have a much bigger impact is the cut in AAoA when the new account(s) report.  I lost 60+ points last year adding my cards but with time it will diminish and with "gardening" it will slowly come up again... If I have the choice of having 20 points more on a Fico score or a nice card that suits my needs .. I will take the card Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 23
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Shock wrote:

Hard pulls are important if you're rebuilding or rounding out your profile. Most people here are.

jsucool76 wrote: 
Application is submitted. Cancelling it now most likely won't stop a HP. lol. 
Everyone on myfico is so inquiry conscious. They go away. Y'all acting like HPs are the end of the world. 

Try rebuilding without taking a few hard pulls. 

54817154.jpg

Message 15 of 23
Shock
Established Contributor

ideally, the backdating from amex should negate the HP

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg8302ch wrote:

I would let it roll... the HP is really not the end of the world.  What could have a much bigger impact is the cut in AAoA when the new account(s) report.  I lost 60+ points last year adding my cards but with time it will diminish and with "gardening" it will slowly come up again... If I have the choice of having 20 points more on a Fico score or a nice card that suits my needs .. I will take the card Smiley Happy

And then a card you really want, or the sign-up bonus you really want, appears and you look at your previous card and say "What the hell am I doing with this piece of crap?  I want my 20 FICO points back so I can get this new card that what I want right now!"

Message 17 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

With AMEX cards, this is not a problem. In fact, it might actually take care of the HP hit and add some more.

Message 18 of 23
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

With AMEX cards, this is not a problem. In fact, it might actually take care of the HP hit and add some more.

Yes...that is exactly the reason why I let the nice targeted SPG offer go....I will jump the gun with the offer early 2015 for backdating purpose ...these offers always come back and the first in 2015 I will accept....lol

(my AAoA is higher than the age of my Amex Smiley Sad )

Message 19 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@aav wrote:

Does this mean that amex will use the same credit report if I choose the bcp?

IIRC it just means that you don't have to fill out an entire app from scratch.  Expect an HP if approved.

@aav wrote:

My Ex shows one hard pull and a drop of 9 points which is a bit high for one hp. 

It's really no big deal.  HP's taper off and fall of realtively quickly.  If you still want to avoid HP's then don't apply for new credit and never assume that you'll get new credit without an HP.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.