Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question

tag
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Amex question

After going through the Big D and having a late payment 4 years and 5 months ago, I'm back into rebuilding my credit.  Currently I have a CITI Platinum card I opened over a year ago along with a Capital One secured card I used to start rebiulding. I use the CITI for everything and pay it off every 3-4 days.  I never keep the balance on the CITI card over 15% at any time so that when it reports to the CRBs it doesn't ding my credit and never carry a balance over to next month.The original limit was $1,000, they've increased the CL to $3500.  I signed up for myFICO (I'll be dropping my freecreditreport.com after realizing the lenders don't use PLUS), and pulled my FICO, as of today it show:

TU 702

EQ 740

EX  694 (says I have too few accounts, my bank doesn't report my car loan to EX)

Furthermore, the last hard pull I had on my account was in June of 2012 and each report says I have no inquiries affecting my FICO score.

I've been thinking about an AMEX card for the great rewards also I'm getting a lot of Amex offers for the business.  Question, with the above scores, what are my chances of Amex approving me and for what card?  I really don't care whether it is a credit or charge card.  Second question, could I apply for say the Delta Sky Miles card individually and a Gold charge business card and have only one hard pull?  As I understand it and do see on my old FCR that AMEX uses EX, my lowest score.

Thanks for any feedback and insight, feels good to back up over 700 again!!

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex question

You mention issues ~5 years ago. Are those reporting and how bad were they?
Score wise I think you could get it. Mine was around that when I got it.
You can try cardmatch.com although the recent report is amex isn't showing right now on there. But when they are they have good offers.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 2 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

The issues were two late car payments.  Both of those notes have since been paid off satisfactorily.  The bank which had those loans is willing to give me another mortgage (sold the house about a year and half ago).  No charge offs, income 90-100K, the only debt I have is about 7500 left on a car loan and the two cc's of which the usage is always under 15%.  

Message 3 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

Based on what you told us I think you could app Gold business then if approved immediately app the Delta for one HP 

You really have nothing to lose since it's been a long time since you had an HP

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 32
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

I agree with MJ-Let us know how it went.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 5 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  Now I'll throw another thought out, which btw thanks for your knowledge, I don't really need a card for my business, but looking at the myFico credit card description page, it lists a Delta Business card requiring good credit, and a regular Delta card requiring excellent credit.  Same thing with the Business Gold..good credit, Premier Rewards Gold requiring excellent credit.  My goal, and I don't want to overshoot and get declined and waste a HP,, is to join the Amex ranks with two nice cards with my 740,702,694.  Is the business gold easier to get than the regular gold? So, do the business Gold and not the PRG, see what happens then immediately Delta?  Should I do the app online from this site?  Also, if I do get approved on the first card, just jump right back online and fire off a app for the Delta. Thanks gang, sorry for all the questions but I've just spent a lot of time and effort getting back up to the 7s and don't want to waste a HP

Message 6 of 32
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I suggest that you apply for the personal Delta gold. You will probably get it. 

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 7 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Blackrv7 wrote:

Thanks.  Now I'll throw another thought out, which btw thanks for your knowledge, I don't really need a card for my business, but looking at the myFico credit card description page, it lists a Delta Business card requiring good credit, and a regular Delta card requiring excellent credit.  Same thing with the Business Gold..good credit, Premier Rewards Gold requiring excellent credit.  My goal, and I don't want to overshoot and get declined and waste a HP,, is to join the Amex ranks with two nice cards with my 740,702,694.  Is the business gold easier to get than the regular gold? So, do the business Gold and not the PRG, see what happens then immediately Delta?  Should I do the app online from this site?  Also, if I do get approved on the first card, just jump right back online and fire off a app for the Delta. Thanks gang, sorry for all the questions but I've just spent a lot of time and effort getting back up to the 7s and don't want to waste a HP

You kind of lost me would you prefer the the PRG instead of business gold?

If so app PRG then Delta 

If I misunderstood please clarify

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 32
Nightfallx
New Contributor

that's something that always amuses me, some people on this forum state they make 100k a year, yet there credit card limits are only 3k-5k.  i'm 24 and make borderline 50k and my highest limit is 21k on my amex blue.

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 9 of 32
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

Why is that amusing? I don't get the point. Good for you?
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.