Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex question

tag
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex question

WTG, OP!!!  Congrats on your new cards, all very nice ones too! You can call in to find out what your starting limit on your Delta.  What's your CL on your new Freedom?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 21 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

The Chase Freedom was only $1500 but the email states, "If this does not meet your needs, you can discuss available credit line options when you call to confirm receipt of your card".  Not surprised with my rather thin file but I'll ask for more and 3X the skymiles card (which is the card I really wanted)  in 61 days.  Like you said, three nice cards, two HPs....good day!!

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 22 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

This site is great!!  One of the reasons I went for the Freedom card was the cash back which is much better than the points on my current citi Plat card.  I called Citi just now after seeing product changes talked abouit on this site.  My 0 interest period expires on the my current card on Dec. 21 at which time they will pc me to whatever I want with no sp, hp or fee.  Merry Christmas to me, now to cruise the citi cards for my stocking stuffer.

Message 23 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations on your spree. The request for a CLI with Chase will be an additional hp if you think your cr will make a difference in a week when the card arrives, then go for it. I would suggest waiting and get more bang GIF your buck after 6 mos of usage with them.
Message 24 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

The only thing that would change would me my utilization down to <5%. If it would be another hp, I would definitely not pursue it.  I feel I have a nice lineup of cards now with varying rewards, espeically when I pc the Citi card in December. Time to let em age!!

Message 25 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 26 of 32
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

Job well done!

Okay...Take a deep breath, sit back and relax for at least six months.

A word of caution now...

With your thin file and all this new credit your creditors will be keeping a close eye on you for the first six months or so. The only thing you should do in the next six months is to use your credit wisely and call AMEX for the 3X CLI in 61 days. Just be patient with everything else for a while. You just blew up your reports and it will take them and your scores a few months to recover but as time goes on your scores and reports will be awesome!

You should think about adding one or two more cards around this time next year and you will then be set with a wide and deep credit base for the rest of your life.

You have done extremly well and have a really nice portfolio of cards now!

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 27 of 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Blackrv7 wrote:

Thanks gang, I've learned a lot in a short amount of time from myFICO.  OK, I'm IN!!  Applied for the Enchanced Buisiness Gold Rewards on the phone from a mailer RSVP code app, got approved.  Immediately hung up...smilng....and applied online for the Gold Delta Sky Miles, got approved!!  Once again, thanks for the collective knowledge on this site.

Another question, how do I find out how much my CL is on the sky miles?

Is there anything I should do as in logging in, creating an account, whatever with Amex, or do I have to wait until I physically receive the cards.  Sorry for the newbee questions but I'm thrilled to be IN and probably should holster my enthusiasm and start as you say....gardening Smiley Happy

Congrats there was no doubt in my mind you would be approved 

Bravo and welcome to the Amex family

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 28 of 32
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

Congratulations!

Job well done!

Okay...Take a deep breath, sit back and relax for at least six months.

A word of caution now...

With your thin file and all this new credit your creditors will be keeping a close eye on you for the first six months or so. The only thing you should do in the next six months is to use your credit wisely and call AMEX for the 3X CLI in 61 days. Just be patient with everything else for a while. You just blew up your reports and it will take them and your scores a few months to recover but as time goes on your scores and reports will be awesome!

You should think about adding one or two more cards around this time next year and you will then be set with a wide and deep credit base for the rest of your life.

You have done extremly well and have a really nice portfolio of cards now!

Good luck!

This is exactly right. Definitely do it--Great advice bro! +1

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 29 of 32
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Thanks gang and jamie123 you are entirely correct. 

A little history.  My credit score was low a year and a half ago and one certain reason, as I heard from my banker...I had no credit cards.  Didn't lose them, just didn't think I had a need for one, if I needed a car loan, got one from the bank and generally just paid for things with my debit card... until the Big D and I needed credit on my own. Thus, the trek down the credit card road. 

Skip a few months, got the Citi card, have had three CLIs in 15 months, never carried a balance on either citi or cap 1 card even though I had 0 interest, paid right at 8K more on the citi card the last six months (as far as I can look back) than the CL times 6 months because I micro manage my utilization and pay off current balances 2-3 times a week.  Point being, I have no interest in changing my spending habits or utilization just because of these new cards. 

The timing:  I had no HP's in the last year, no HPs planned for the near future,  FICO scores in some acceptable ranges, time to drop the hammer and expand the cc lineup with some good cards with good rewards.  Plus, with the two cc I had, no matter what I did, my scores appeared stagnated.  Scores, HPs, timing all lined up nicely so I'm willing to take the score hit for a few months for the longer term good.  Let em sp all they want, they'll see no change in my spending habits or payment history.

I have a plan for spending on the three cards to maximize the signup rewards but no frivilous spending just for the sake of spending.  They'll get used much like a debit card but I'll enjoy the credit score benefit of cc's.  I'll pay just as I have been but also set up auto balance pay 3-4 days prior to each scheduled "pay by" date just as a safe guard.

Looking forward to opening some envelopes and making some activation calls!!

I'll report on score changes.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.