Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Chase Sapphire Preferred Story

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Another Chase Sapphire Preferred Story

Since I never would have had the gumption to do it without you guys, I wanted to share my success story.  I will include all details I would have wanted to know while I was mulling it over and hopefully this will help some of you.

First, you need to know that I was denied initially.  Apped online, got the 10 day note, and started calling the automated line, which advised me I was under review.  I apped last night and started calling then, then called three times today before getting the guts to do the recon.  I called this number: 888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst - Recons).  I spoke to Desiree, who was just lovely.  Here are the specifics:

Desiree checked my app staus and said I had been denied. I asked if she had any suggestions for me.  She told me that I was denied based on a tax lien from two years ago and a 30 days late from two years ago.  I explained that the tax lien was due to an unfortunate relative issue and that the lien had indeed been paid, and that it was never my responsibility to pay it, but since my name was listed as a co-owner, it was placed on my credit report. I  asked her which report she had pulled, because according to My FICO, the late had been changed to "never late" after the account was closed (was an HSBC that was recently bought by Capital One). She stated that she had oulled EQ. I am wondering why the disparity in the reports and told her that it should have updated recently. She asked if she could put me on hold for 2-4 minutes.  It was a long 4 minutes!  She came back and asked me some income questions.  She wanted to know how long I had been at my job, where I worked, and my address.  I took this opportunity to explain to her that I was beginning a business and felt that Chase had always been fair to me and could best meet my needs, even though I have had offers from Citi, etc. I also asked her to pleae look at my record with Chase. SHe put me on hold again, and when she came back she said I am happy to tell you that you have been approved for CSP with a $5000 limit."

More details:

• Stated Income:  $76k
  • Report pulled:  EQ, and I live in Florida.
  • No large bank cards, but I do have a Home Depot through Citi for $7200 and a  Best Buy store card through Capital One for $4200.  I also have two other Chase accounts; a Kohls for $1000, and a Freedom (converted from a WAMU) for $1500.  I also have a $1300 Target.
  • FICO EQ at pull time:  691.  It did drop today to a 689 from the inquiry, and I have had no inquiries for more than two years.
  • It was indeed a hard pull, but no hard pull on recon.
  • I called less than 24 hours after app.
  • My Chase Freedom is nearly at maximum capacity, as we have been trying to use for everything and pay off, but I have always carried a balance on it to some degree prior to now, and it has been at high capacity for the last three months.  My Kohls card never has more than 15% usage.
  • Total averages between 9 and 15%.

Hope this helps someone...if I missed something, please ask; I tried to be complete.  Also, Credit Karma had me a "Fair" odds for this card. I've also read that your credit must be excellent for CSP, and I really think mine is just in the "good" range.

Lisa

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Chase Sapphire Preferred Story

Congratulations on a successful recon and a great card with a great limit!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations.  That's a great story.

I have heard good things about the Chase Sapphire customer service.

I myself just got approved 2 days ago for this card.  The 40,000 point bonus was too much to pass up.

It was a bit difficult though for me to overlook the bad experience I had with Chase 4 years ago, however I decided to give them a try again.

It's a great card, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

It's nice to know that Chase actually relies on human beings to make these decisions, rather than computers.

Message 3 of 12
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Congrats! Great card!...Treat it well...
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats, you did a great job on recon Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the kind words.

I am "app shy" and haven't apped for a VISA or MC, etc. in many, many years.  I also recently dropped my two HSBC cards (before they were taken over by Capital One) because they were stuck at very low CLs and were never helpful in offering or approving CLI, nor with removing my annual fee even with a jump over time from a 625 to a 721 (sigh...that 721 was before the tax lien).  I've been unsure whether I made a mistake in canceling when I did, as Capital One might have been better about it, but now I am happy to have the Chase card on its way and I'm feeling better about canceling the other two.

Anyway, if you are reading this and got the 10 day message, do not be afraid to call.  It doesn't hurt to ask, and they definitely did not pull a second hard on recon in my case.

Lisa

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 6 of 12
LilNYC
New Contributor

@LisaJ wrote:

Thank you for the kind words.

I am "app shy" and haven't apped for a VISA or MC, etc. in many, many years.  I also recently dropped my two HSBC cards (before they were taken over by Capital One) because they were stuck at very low CLs and were never helpful in offering or approving CLI, nor with removing my annual fee even with a jump over time from a 625 to a 721 (sigh...that 721 was before the tax lien).  I've been unsure whether I made a mistake in canceling when I did, as Capital One might have been better about it, but now I am happy to have the Chase card on its way and I'm feeling better about canceling the other two.

Anyway, if you are reading this and got the 10 day message, do not be afraid to call.  It doesn't hurt to ask, and they definitely did not pull a second hard on recon in my case.

Lisa

Is the tax lien federal or state? If it's federal you can have it removed. Google "federal tax lien withdrawl" & you'll find the link to the form you have to fill out.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 7 of 12
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Congrats! That is a great story and does show that Chase is willing to work with people these days!

Thank you for sharing....  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 12
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Congrats, welcome to the CSP family!!!!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats..

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.