Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree- Approved 5/5! AMEX, Chase, Discover, & Barclay's

tag
LilNYC
New Contributor

App Spree- Approved 5/5! AMEX, Chase, Discover, & Barclay's

12/12- Discover More     $4,000   (0% apr for 14 mo. on purchases & b.t/'s)  (15.99% after promo period ends)

12/16- Amex Hilton Honors  $4,500   (40,000 pts. bonus after spending $750)

12/16- Amex Starwood Pref. Guest-    $2,000   (25,000 pt. bonus after spending $5K)            (19.24% apr)   

12/18- Barclay's Priceline Rewards Visa Signature-   $6,400 

12/18- Chase Sapphire Pref. Visa Sig.                         $7,500     (40,000 pt. bonus after $2,000 in spending)

Worked really hard to get my overall util. down as low as possible (23%) & then went on an app spree a few days ago. Applied for 5 cards & eventually approved for all 5. Not a single one was an instant approval but not exactly a denial/recon either. Note to everyone, DON'T APPLY ON THE WEEKENDS & APPLY WELL BEFORE MIDNIGHT. On Mon night around 12:30 am I apped for Discover More & got the 7 day msg. Tried to check the status of my app online right after but they run maint. every night from 12-3:30 am. Called Discover Tues. am & they said there was no record of my app. When I told the rep that I applied around 12:30 am, he said that explains it. For some reason he can't understand apps submitted around midnight take at least 24 hrs to process. So I checked my status 24 hrs later but the status page is down from midnight-3:30 am. Checked again Wed. at 8 am- approved for $4,000.

Sat./Sunday around midnight I applied for the Amex Hilton Honors (no fee version) mainly for backdating purposes/to mitigate my new accts & got a msg saying they needed to speak to me inorder to give me an instant decision & to call xyz #. However, that dept. closes at 9 pm on Sat. Had to wait till sun 10 am to call in. Called, rep said it was a security measure since I'm already an existing Amex cardmember they need to ensure that I am really applying for an additional card. After a couple of security questions he said he was going to call me back on the phone # listed in my Amex profile. He did, I answered a few more identity/security qus. & was approved for $4,500. 

Later that night I applied on the phone for the Amex Starwood card. Rep said she couldn't provide me with an instant decision b/c their system was updating & that I should check the status of my in an hr. I did repeatedly for the next couple of hrs. & it said "in progress." Mon. morning it still said "in progress" so I called the # I called for the Hilton card, rep said it was a security measure b/c I'm an existing cardmember & that this is the procedure for all existing cardmembers. (Has this happened to anyone else?) Approved for $2k.

So at this point I was approved for 3 cards but only after waiting over 10-36 hrs for a decision. Beyond nerve racking. Moral- apply during normal biz hrs.

Sunday afternoon I also applied for the Barclay's Priceline visa & Chase Sapphire Pref. Barclay's said they need 7-10 days to review my app. I tried calling the recon/analyst # but they are closed on Sundays. Called 3 diff. customer service #s & every rep said they didn't have any info on my app, that the sys said it was still processing & it that my app had to be reviewed by an underwriter. I kept insisting that  it was prob. just needed to verify my id/address but they wouldn't listen.

P.S. I call the recon/analyst line today, they look up my app & tell me it hasn't been processed yet & that a diff. dept. handles that. They transfer me & that rep says he just needs to verify my address/ it was a security hold on my app. He submitted my app & bam- approved for $6,400!

As for the CSP, I got a msg stating that they needed to speak to me or needed more time to process my app (I honestly can't remember anymore.) Luckily, Chase underwriting dept. is open on Sunday & I was actually able to speak with a very helpful analyst. It's a long story & I have another post about that saga but basically he told me to make a payment w/I the next 30 days on my Freedom card, once it posts to my acct call back & ask them to recon my app. Went to my local branch today to make the payment & the rep informed me that I was pre-approved for the CSP. I agreed to have him process the app (again) & bam, I got approved for $7,500! 

So long story long, eventually I got approved for 5/5 cards all with pretty decent starting CLs. If I had to do it all over again I would app during the week before 6 pm & walk into my local Chase branch to check for pre-approvals.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree- Approved 5/5! AMEX, Chase, Discover, & Barclay's

What a ride, but congrats on the fantastic app spree results! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 17
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Congrats, and thanks for sharing those tips!

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 3 of 17
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Congrats. A question: how did you get the 40k points for 2k spend on CSP? I apped last week and my spend is 3k. Curious if you had a targeted offer or found a specific link. Otherwise, if the overall offer has changed I'll be giving them a call.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 17
flowfaster
Established Contributor

It's another offer.  Send Chase a secure message telling them that this concerns you and more than likely they will reduce your required spend.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Congrats. A question: how did you get the 40k points for 2k spend on CSP? I apped last week and my spend is 3k. Curious if you had a targeted offer or found a specific link. Otherwise, if the overall offer has changed I'll be giving them a call.

It was an in branch offer. Walk into your local Chase branch & see if they can give you some documentation or something. Then send a secure msg to Chase card services asking if they can match the offer. If it's within 90 days of opening your card they'll prob. honor the lower spending threshold. 

(As a side note, I mentioned to the banker that it was $3K on chase.com & he said he's not sure why the offers differ but in the past it was the other way around, online had better offers. He also said that they recently lowered the spending threshold on the in branch offer.)

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

Message 6 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

Thanks guys! Hope my experience/saga helps others on this forum. 13 months ago my credit scores ranged from 656-676 & I couldn't get approved for anything. I even tried the pre-approval thing on Orchard's site & they said I only qualified for a secured card. I didn't take them up on the offer. Just waited a couple of months for an old charge off to fall off, got a pre-approval from Citi in April- apped & got approved. Then I read the posts on this forum diligently, learned a ton, & finally got to where I am today. When I was discussing the CSP & Chase Ink w/ a Chase banker today he was impressed with my knowledge &  asked me if I use to work in the banking industry, lol.

Message 7 of 17
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

It was an in branch offer. Walk into your local Chase branch & see if they can give you some documentation or something. Then send a secure msg to Chase card services asking if they can match the offer. If it's within 90 days of opening your card they'll prob. honor the lower spending threshold. 

Thanks. I sent them a message and will see what happens. Not a big deal, since I'll probably exceed either, but always good to have more flexibility.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 17
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

Thanks guys! Hope my experience/saga helps others on this forum. 13 months ago my credit scores ranged from 656-676 & I couldn't get approved for anything. I even tried the pre-approval thing on Orchard's site & they said I only qualified for a secured card. I didn't take them up on the offer. Just waited a couple of months for an old charge off to fall off, got a pre-approval from Citi in April- apped & got approved. Then I read the posts on this forum diligently, learned a ton, & finally got to where I am today. When I was discussing the CSP & Chase Ink w/ a Chase banker today he was impressed with my knowledge &  asked me if I use to work in the banking industry, lol.

Congrats on all the approvals!!! That is so awesome. I am also very thankful for the posters and the knowledge they share.

When Discover approved you, did they send your EQ score by mail?

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

tennisfan78 wrote:
When Discover approved you, did they send your EQ score by mail?

Yes, just got the letter from Discover in the mail today, exactly 1 week after my approval- 694 Fico (EQ) but it doesn't list the items that impacted my score the way Amex letters do. Funny, you're asking b/c I just read your post on the Discover thread & was going to ask you what score they gave you on your approval. BTW, congrats on your Discover approval! Happy you pulled the trigger & it turned out well for you. Your CL is even better than mine! 

Btw- Discover won't tell you your score over the phone, I trIed. They told which report they pulled but that's it.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.