Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree today

tag
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

App Spree today

Been working with my partner on building their credit. 2 years ago they were down at 420. The only credit card they had, they charged off + some other small collections. Plus their student loan was charged off. I was able to get the student loan rehabbed + obtain a couple capital one cards to build history with.

Fast forward 2 years. I just got a big jump, about 40 points to go to about 650 after paying off their 2 - 500 limit Capital one cards. I also disputed their student loan to make sure it was reporting correctly, because it still wasn't after rehabbing.

I tried for a CLI on Cap1 and went from 500 to 600 dollars....Not impressive for having history with them and paying off both cards completely.

Today I went on a mini app spree with them -

Approvals so far -

$3500 on Chase Freedom

$1500 on Discover It

$1800 on NavyFed (I got them a membership today via my association)

-------

$6800 in new credit. I plan on having them utilize these cards each month and PIF, just to build more positive history and grow their revolving lines for the future.

They are super excited and so am I! The hard work is paying off!

Any other suggestions of what I coupld apply for today? Any other good cards to app for?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: App Spree today

I would stop and wait a year before adding anything more.  Chances are they will end up with some more toy limits if you push forward with more apps.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ashjt2011 wrote:

Been working with my partner on building their credit. 2 years ago they were down at 420. The only credit card they had, they charged off + some other small collections. Plus their student loan was charged off. I was able to get the student loan rehabbed + obtain a couple capital one cards to build history with.

Fast forward 2 years. I just got a big ju7mp, about 40 points to go to about 650 after paying off their 2 - 500 limit Capital one cards. I also disputed their student loan to make sure it was reporting correctly, because it still wasn't after rehabbing.

I tried for a CLI on Cap1 and went from 500 to 600 dollars....Not impressive for having history with them and paying off both cards completely.

Today I went on a mini app spree with them -

Approvals so far -

$3500 on Chase Freedom

$1500 on Discover It

$1800 on NavyFed (I got them a membership today via my association)

-------

$6800 in new credit. I plan on having them utilize these cards each month and PIF, just to build more positive history and grow their revolving lines for the future.

They are super excited and so am I! The hard work is paying off!

Any other suggestions of what I coupld apply for today? Any other good cards to app for?

Apply to the garden. No HP needed. That's where I am, come on in and watch everything age.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try Amex too. bce or bcp

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, NFCU is the big win here.  They are awesome and that limit will grow like you won't believe.  Might want to consider the CLOC through them after some time in the garden, its a nice option to have, the max is 15k.  I would probably garden for the rest of the year.  You should be able to get a SP CLI with NFCU in 3-4 months.  

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals. You have some great cards with awesome lenders. I am biding my time until I can get in with Chase.

I have both Discover and NFCU and both have been really good to me. NFCU increased $9500 in 3 months. Discover increased $3000 in 4 months. 

Both Discover and NFCU have great customer service, as well as shopping portals. Discover Deals and the NFCU Member Mall. I have saved quite a bit there. And shopping throughh these portals are in addition to the discounts already built into the card. And with Discover Deals, any cashback bonus is doubled at the end of the first year. 

Now, as others have stated, it might be good to garden now and let the new cards age and the scores grow even more. 

Message 6 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

Congrats on all the approvals!! I would just sit tight and let them age for a bit now. Give your reports some time to recover

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 13
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone! Other than the CLOC, I am going to just garden for awhile. They don't need a TON of credit, I just want them to have some better cards and to let their history grow. 

I might try for the CLOC from Navyfed, but that would be the last thing.

Thanks again for all the kind words! So happy to finally have them moving up in the credit world. 

Message 8 of 13
Scupra
Super Contributor

Navy is wonderful and will absolutely grow with you Smiley Happy Good little spree
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may use the same pull for that too. Not sure how that works with them but I am sure others will know. Or call and ask.

Congrats on your approvals
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.