Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App spree turned major score boost!

tag
soamazin55
Valued Member

App spree turned major score boost!

Ok...so it's about time I share this roller coster ride with you wondeful people...

Wondering how much background info I should give in order for you guys to understand my own feelings about what's happened...

Ok...started rebuilding credit in June 2011 (544 CS)...PIF'd 2 large collection accts from 2008 (NO CLUE about PFD's at the time)...still a judgment and CA remained on CR...first rebuilder card in Aug 2011 (Orchard Bank $300 CL)....second rebuilder card in Nov 2011 (Cap 1 Plat $500)...also in Nov 2011, managed to secure a small auto loan for $8k after $6k down...

Not a single app for anything in all of 2012.

I was monitoring my credit like a hawk for the entire year and finally...a huge milestone for me...all my scores hit 700+, albeit FAKO.

So once the new year hit, checked myfico EQ (687) and TU (703)...so seeing my TU fico...I sprinted out of the garden...and you guessed it....APP SPREE!!!

Went 5/7. (there are interesting reasons for the 2 I was declined for).

Anyhow, my last approval was a Walmart Discover with a 2K limit. Pleasantly surprised about that. However, I only threw that last app in for the free TU fico.

Here's where it gets interesting. Got the card and activated in on Feb 11th and ofcourse, checked my free Walmart TU...

(Now, I wanted to see the damage I had done with all the new INQs (5 hit TU) and AAoA cut in half...given my pre-app spree TU fico of 703...I was hoping that i still managed to maintain at lease a 680...)

But the walmart number that I saw....754!

Ok...so my initial thoughts...what the hell is going on? Is walmart's fico that utterly inaccurate? And I'm ashamed to say it...but for a full 3 mins I had lost all faith in the consistency of credit scoring. Because NOTHING that I had read in my year and a half of credit knowledge hoarding could explain how 5 inqs and a significantly cut AAoA could result in such a fico score boost. I know my credit report like the back of my hand. I have a judgment opened on 02/08/08 so that should be off in 2015. My collection opened on 03/01/08 so that should be off in 2015 as well. (And that doesnt even report on TU) So what is going on?!?

The verdict???

My judgment had in fact fallen off. What I didn't know, was that in this great state of NY....PAID judgments fall off after 5 years and not 7 as I thought. And since that judgment opened on 02/08/08 and I had checked my Walmart fico on 02/11/13...I guess it had fallen off 2 or 3 days prior. Unbelievable. It was all the timing of events.

Ready for the icing on the cake....the VERY NEXT DAY...in light of this new and improved score...I called walmart to recon my CL. Ask for 7K CL (up from 2K)...approved!

What a ride!

Also, same night I was confused about the big score, I came back on here and purchased an update score...TU 730.
Now, don't know if you guys agree, but considering the new inqs and shortened aaoa...that judgment fall off HAD to be worth like 50 points.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: APP SPREE turned MAJOR SCORE BOOST

very cool

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 18
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Great inspiration for my year of gardening!  ahead of me Smiley Happy

Congrats!

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 3 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CONGRATS!!!!

What other cards did you get??!?!?!?!?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 18
soamazin55
Valued Member

@LS2982 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!

Thank you everyone! Soooo, the newly acquired cards were:

In the order of approval:

Discover IT: 2K

Chase Freedom: 500 (after recon)

AMEX BCE: 1K

Best Buy Reward Zone MC: 500 (thought I'd throw a store card in the mix; before i considered walmart)

Walmart Discover: 2K initially now 7K

And all apps were before i knew i'd have a judgment coming off all CRA's this month. Kind of bittersweet, because had I known,I wouldve def. waited :-/

Message 6 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@soamazin55 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!

Thank you everyone! Soooo, the newly acquired cards were:

In the order of approval:

Discover IT: 2K

Chase Freedom: 500 (after recon)

AMEX BCE: 1K

Best Buy Reward Zone MC: 500 (thought I'd throw a store card in the mix; before i considered walmart)

Walmart Discover: 2K initially now 7K

And all apps were before i knew i'd have a judgment coming off all CRA's this month. Kind of bittersweet, because had I known,I wouldve def. waited :-/

Nice set of cards there!!!! Only dud there is that BB MC it doesn't grow very fast at all.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 18
soamazin55
Valued Member

Yeah, and it's probably the one I would take back if I could. But if I had to pick a store card, it was definitely them because I'm kind of an electronics junkie and they are my dealers. Lol.

I've heard tho, that CLI's are easier attained in-store when you'd like to make a big purchase that your current CL can't cover. Don't know how true that is, but if I ever lose my mind and attempt to buy that 80'' LED TV solely because it exists; I'll let you know how it goes. Lol

Message 8 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@soamazin55 wrote:

Yeah, and it's probably the one I would take back if I could. But if I had to pick a store card, it was definitely them because I'm kind of an electronics junkie and they are my dealers. Lol.

I've heard tho, that CLI's are easier attained in-store when you'd like to make a big purchase that your current CL can't cover. Don't know how true that is, but if I ever lose my mind and attempt to buy that 80'' LED TV solely because it exists; I'll let you know how it goes. Lol

I would shut that down and go with hhgregg. GE backed and SP CLI's every 4 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 18
soamazin55
Valued Member

I actually never even heard of them til you just mentioned it. Did a quick search, they aren't in NY. Closest one to me is about 75 miles away. Thanks for the sugesstion though!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.