cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently You Get Great CLI With Discover For Carrying a Balance!

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Apparently You Get Great CLI With Discover For Carrying a Balance!

So my boyfriend got a Discover card a little less than a year ago (will be a full year May 18th), which was a counteroffer for the card he originally applied for (not sure exactly what it was, could have been the More). Also not sure of the terms, but considering it was his first real credit card after having only a car loan and student loan report, him and I were both thrilled at the prospect of building his credit. They gave him a $1250 limit to start.

Unfortunately, he did use the card for some moderately big ticket items for his collection, and he makes the monthly minimum payments each month...and sometimes uses the card for going out to eat and such. So his balance is usually anywhere between $700-$900 every month, obviously lower when he's not charging additional purchases to the card. Though i can't remember the exact timing, he's gone from $1250-->$1500-->$1900 to just recently today $3000! That's over 2x increase within a year! Without even asking!

Discover sure likes people who revolve balances Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Apparently You Get Great CLI With Discover For Carrying a Balance!

That's awesome! I sure hope you're right since I will most definitely be carrying a balance for the next year on mine - just did a BT. Congrats to your bf!

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 14
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I guess I need to start carrying a balance!!!

*8/10/13
Message 3 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

So my boyfriend got a Discover card a little less than a year ago (will be a full year May 18th), which was a counteroffer for the card he originally applied for (not sure exactly what it was, could have been the More). Also not sure of the terms, but considering it was his first real credit card after having only a car loan and student loan report, him and I were both thrilled at the prospect of building his credit. They gave him a $1250 limit to start.

Unfortunately, he did use the card for some moderately big ticket items for his collection, and he makes the monthly minimum payments each month...and sometimes uses the card for going out to eat and such. So his balance is usually anywhere between $700-$900 every month, obviously lower when he's not charging additional purchases to the card. Though i can't remember the exact timing, he's gone from $1250-->$1500-->$1900 to just recently today $3000! That's over 2x increase within a year! Without even asking!

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

I bet they do like that....tell the BF to let you manage his credit we know you will get his debt in check and get him some nice cards to boot..lol

cheers

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
That's awesome! I sure hope you're right since I will most definitely be carrying a balance for the next year on mine - just did a BT. Congrats to your bf!

Thanks! He's excited, and even told me he was "catching up". I laughed at him and showed him my portfolio!

Though it would be great for him to get other cards, he's not a big CC person and typically likes to use his debit card, which is just fine. And besides, at this point I don't trust him with another card based on the way he handles this one! o.O Then again, he uses his Discover card similarly to how the average CC holder uses it, so it can't be all that bad. And he's always on time, so I can't complain on that regard!

Use that BT to the fullest! GL!

Message 5 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

I bet they do like that....tell the BF to let you manage his credit we know you will get his debt in check and get him some nice cards to boot..lol

cheers

He's actually planning on paying off completely, or simply a very good chunk, of his Discover card soon Smiley Happy so with the boost in CL and the pay down, I MAY have him consider another card...(aka have him consider cards that I would like Smiley Tongue)

Gonna have him look at the Priceline Visa...would love for him to have the Fidelty AMEX, but doubt he's willing to open up another banking account (he just opened up a savings and started making monthly transfers, so I'm doubly proud that he's putting in the effort to save!), Upromise or Sallie Mae card, Citi Dividend, or BCE. Maybe Discover IT but he could always convert his current card one day to it, so that's last of all the considerations.

Okay, so that's a lot of options. But they're essentially in order of desire, and of course the boyfriend gets the final decision for it will be his card Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

cheers

He's actually planning on paying off completely, or simply a very good chunk, of his Discover card soon Smiley Happy so with the boost in CL and the pay down, I MAY have him consider another card...(aka have him consider cards that I would like Smiley Tongue)

Gonna have him look at the Priceline Visa...would love for him to have the Fidelty AMEX, but doubt he's willing to open up another banking account (he just opened up a savings and started making monthly transfers, so I'm doubly proud that he's putting in the effort to save!), Upromise or Sallie Mae card, Citi Dividend, or BCE. Maybe Discover IT but he could always convert his current card one day to it, so that's last of all the considerations.

Okay, so that's a lot of options. But they're essentially in order of desire, and of course the boyfriend gets the final decision for it will be his card Smiley Happy

Sure...... the suggestive powers of a woman Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

cheers

Sure...... the suggestive powers of a woman Lol

Ahahaha! Can't help it! But hey, a good portion of his spending is on me, so why not help him earn the maximum rewards in the meantime? XD

Message 8 of 14
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

congrats, and yes, same on my chase freedom. second auto cli i was carrying a balance of 50% util for the first time. 0% interest anyways so why not . 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 9 of 14
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

That's great...but I would not advocate carrying balances on a card if it is not necessary, or just in the off chance that they will give you a CLI. I never carry any balances, so if that means I will not get a CLI, then so be it. I will of course request one...Smiley Wink

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.