Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

tag
lsdiamond
Established Member

Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

Congrats. Wow 495 AF..WT-

Message 2 of 28
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Congratulation........Its always nice to get in the door with AMEXXXXXXXXXXX Love

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 28
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@lsdiamond wrote:

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Congrats !   So you were approved for both the Plat & Gold charge cards ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 28
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Hm... mind if I ask - just out of curiosity - what's the sense of having two charge cards - Gold and Platinum, while both are with AFs? 

I can imagine backdating as a reason or issuing AU card for your spouse only for Gold leaving Platinum only for yourself, but probably that's all I can think of... 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 5 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@lsdiamond wrote:

Congrats !   So you were approved for both the Plat & Gold charge cards ?

I thought wisdom here was that the approval criteria were about the same for Green/Gold/Platinum, no?  So it would make sense to be approved for both.  You decide how much AF to pay for the benefits you want.

Message 6 of 28
DailyDriver
Valued Member

@mikka1 wrote:

Hm... mind if I ask - just out of curiosity - what's the sense of having two charge cards - Gold and Platinum, while both are with AFs? 

I can imagine backdating as a reason or issuing AU card for your spouse only for Gold leaving Platinum only for yourself, but probably that's all I can think of... 

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime/2012/05/02/why-the-american-express-platinum-and-premie...

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 7 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

That seems a little "Amex and maybe CSP are the only cards".  For gas and grocery spending, PenFed Platinum Rewards has much better rewards (5% and 3%) and no annual fee, and in the comments someone else mentioned the PenFed Amex travel card.  And there are many others.  So I still think the AF for the gold is only going to be justified for heavy travelers who need international biz/first class a lot.  There are plenty of those out there of course, but it's not as obvious as that article seems to suggest.

Message 8 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

just remember you have to pay the AF the first month, you can't keep it a year and try it out first.  also for additional cards it's 175 per AU

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 28
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@lsdiamond wrote:

Congrats! But I do hope you can use all that benefits to subsidize the $450 AF and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an up front fee?

But its a nice looking card to have!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.