Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved Now What?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved Now What?

Hi,

First time poster. I’ve read a lot of posts on here and I’ve learned a lot about credit. Things on this forum I should have learned in school but whatever.

I’ve had a horrible experience with credit in the past. Defaulted on cards and had a horrible score to show for it — talking low 500s almost 400s bad. I was completely turned off by the idea of ever having credit again. I blamed the banks for my poor judgements horrible financial decisions. I realized that I needed to grow up and be an adult and decided jump back in but slowly and ended up with a $500 BOA secured card.

Fast forward 3 years later I can admit I’ve had high credit utilization but always paid my bills on time including some stretch of months PIF. I also never missed a payment. I never even asked for my deposit back or requested a CLI. Was just happy to have it and build my credit (low 500 to 670) (CK scores)

Now about 6 months ago I got a cap1 unsecured for $300 and it auto CLI to $500 which triggered me to find out why BOA never did that and how to request a CLI on boa (I only use mobile) link is on desktop so I did it. No increase but I did get a deposit refund (secured to unsecured conversion?) and the reasons for no CLI was not enough accounts, high utilization, length of accounts (guessing cap1) and 2 bad marks from 6 years ago which have been fully paid off. I thought me banking with boa would have made a difference guess not.

I was looking at the these forums and decided to get another card to increase my total accounts and total line of credit. So I tried the pre qualifying pages on Chase, Citi, & BOA all showed me cards but all got 7-10 letters = denied so I just went and got a discover secured ($300) and then I saw the shopping cart trick. I saw that the store cards don’t have a fee so in my head I’m thinking just having these store cards would increase my total line of credit and lower my utilization. I was approved for a few (Overstock $250, Express $250, Wayfair $750, and Victoria Secret $500) I don’t shop at these stores so my question is — will having these cards without using them (never buying anything) look good on my report in the long term aka they will be activated but never used or should I hold something on them?

Thanks for reading I know that was long I appreciate any help!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved Now What?

You don't want to close accounts if you don't have to because it will lower your average age of accounts. It will only improve your overall utilization having them open. Only thing is, if you never put a dime on them, they may eventually close the credit card account. Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.