cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved Sallie Mae World Mastercard!!!!

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved Sallie Mae World Mastercard!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and congrats, I like to share my stories as we all learn from one another on this forum, especially where I came from poor/no credit and now having tons of credit all due to this forum and the knowledge I gained....

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 11 of 25
tray
Valued Contributor

@dap1984va wrote:

so does that mean you took another Inquiry to move to the Sallie Mae ? How many credit hits did you take?

Checked my credit reports 2 hits from Barclay's on TU only one for the Upromise Card and one for the Sallie Mae. It could have been worse...

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 12 of 25
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Good work - congrats!!

Message 13 of 25
otter69
New Contributor

I love my Sallie Mae card... it fits my spening habits almost perfectly and made more than a few of my other cards obsolete. 

I don't do senior citizen activities like Bingo, needlepoint, shuffleboard, square dancing, and ABSOLUTELY NO GARDENING!
Message 14 of 25
iHackerSix
New Contributor

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I tried google and didn't come up with too many details. What are the main differences between the Sallie Mae Mastercard and the UPromise Mastercard? Both have cash back, World MasterCards, and both are back by Barclays.

Message 15 of 25
otter69
New Contributor

@iHackerSix wrote:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I tried google and didn't come up with too many details. What are the main differences between the Sallie Mae Mastercard and the UPromise Mastercard? Both have cash back, World MasterCards, and both are back by Barclays.

• Both give $25 bonus on first use
  • Upromise: 5-10% on eligible online sites, 4% at participating restaurants, 3% at Exxon/Mobil 2% at certain movie theaters, 1% elsewhere
  • Sallie Mae: 5% on first $250/month each on gas and groceries, 5% on first $750 books, 1% everything else.

So at first the upromise looks appealing until you see the online sites are limited, the restaurants are very limited, Exxon/Mobil doesn't have a footprint everywhere, and the movie theaters which are eligible are very spotty.

I suppose IF you shopped at the obscure upromise sites, IF your favorite restaurant was  participating, and IF you always got gas at Exxon or Mobil then this would be a better card.

I don't do senior citizen activities like Bingo, needlepoint, shuffleboard, square dancing, and ABSOLUTELY NO GARDENING!
Message 16 of 25
iHackerSix
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. You just gotta love that all time famous credit card company use of the word "Participating". It's almost like you can say anything you want and no matter how obscure it is, it's still true! Like if I had my own CC company and put out: Unlimited 20% cash back at "Participating" grocery stores, but the list of "Participating" grocery stores is stores located in the north coast of Antartica! Yeah, I love that word.

Message 17 of 25
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

I have to disagree about the online sites being limited. The UPromise mall is huge, and offers a lot of opportunities to earn cash back. It's actually bigger than the Discover Mall. I actually love the UPromise mall.
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 18 of 25
otter69
New Contributor

@DaniBananiie wrote:
I have to disagree about the online sites being limited. The UPromise mall is huge, and offers a lot of opportunities to earn cash back. It's actually bigger than the Discover Mall. I actually love the UPromise mall.

All those malls are pretty much the same... most are the same merchants you see on Discover's mall, Wells Fargo's mall, etc. The rest are offers you can get other places online, some better offers elsewhere (such as 24 hour fitness 5% off)... if you can't get more than 5% off by just walking into a 24 hour fitness and negotiating for 30 seconds, you're not really trying. And no amazon.com... that's a deal breaker for many of us right there.

Message 19 of 25
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

I have to disagree with you otter. The Upromise Mall has more merchants than the Discover Mall. I comparison shop between the two every single day, so I would know more than you do. Places like Oriental Trading Co isn't in the Discover mall but it's in the Upromise mall. You can get more cash back from Best Buy in the Upromise mall vs the Discover Mall. I would be nice if you didn't sway people in here with false accusations about things. It's pathetic..
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.