cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AMEX Blue Credit....Should I apply for AMEX Platinum Charge?

tag
NY10007
New Visitor

Approved for AMEX Blue Credit....Should I apply for AMEX Platinum Charge?

I was recently approved for an AMEX Blue CC a week ago. Now I am being offered the Platinum with extra rewards through my Financial Advisor. I would need to apply for the Platinum card as I did with the Blue.

Is it worth it to my credit score to try or should I test the award winning membership rewards program out with my credit card first?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for AMEX Blue Credit...Should I apply for AMEX Platinum Charge?

@NY10007 wrote:

I was recently approved for an AMEX Blue CC a week ago. Now I am being offered the Platinum with extra rewards through my Financial Advisor. I would need to apply for the Platinum card as I did with the Blue.

Is it worth it to my credit score to try or should I test the award winning membership rewards program out with my credit card first?

The Blue is actually going to be a MRE (Membership Rewards Express) card. They really aren't worth that much unless you have a full MR card such as Green through Platinum as well. If you don't mind me asking why did you apply for Blue? It's not a bad card, but if your just looking for rewards there are better options. What is the sign up bonus on the Platinum offer? The annual fee is $450 and unless it has a pretty substantial sign up bonus or you plan on utilizing the benefits a lot it's not really worth it. 

Message 2 of 8
NY10007
New Visitor

I wasn't looking for rewards when I applied for the Blue. My brokerage firm offered to cover the AF for 2 years if I applied and also give me an additional 15000 MR points. They are also offering to cover my AF for the Platinum contingent on my annual purchases and an additional 30k MR points.

Hope this explains it somewhat.
Message 3 of 8
tk_0014
Established Member

May as well have a real MR point card so you can transfer the E points to get more value, if somebody else paid the fee, I'd have a platinum already, haha!

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 4 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@Default4 wrote:

@NY10007 wrote:

The Blue is actually going to be a MRE (Membership Rewards Express) card. They really aren't worth that much unless you have a full MR card such as Green through Platinum as well. If you don't mind me asking why did you apply for Blue? It's not a bad card, but if your just looking for rewards there are better options. What is the sign up bonus on the Platinum offer? The annual fee is $450 and unless it has a pretty substantial sign up bonus or you plan on utilizing the benefits a lot it's not really worth it. 

So if someone is interested in rewards through amex they would need a charge card in addition to a revolver?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 8
tk_0014
Established Member

@red259 wrote:

@Default4 wrote:

@NY10007 wrote:

So if someone is interested in rewards through amex they would need a charge card in addition to a revolver?

No, but to be able to transfer the weaker express points to regular MR or First MR, you need both. The point levels have different values.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/tier/tierComparison/tierComparison.aspx

MyFICO (4/13) EQ score 733 CK TU score 6/13 754 FCR EX 4/13 736

CU overdraft protection CL $500 Freedom $3000 CSP $8000 BofA 123Cash Reward $3000 C1 QS1 $1250, C1 QS $5500 PP Cred $2950 Amex BCP $19500 DISC IT: $14,100 Home Depot $8000
Message 6 of 8
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@NY10007 wrote:
I wasn't looking for rewards when I applied for the Blue. My brokerage firm offered to cover the AF for 2 years if I applied and also give me an additional 15000 MR points. They are also offering to cover my AF for the Platinum contingent on my annual purchases and an additional 30k MR points.

Hope this explains it somewhat.

Are you looking at the US versions of the cards? Blue doesn't have an annual fee... If you can meet the spending they need to cover the fee on the Platinum it's possibly worth it. You would still only be getting one point per dollar, but the Platinum has some awesome travel benefits. 

Message 7 of 8
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@tk_0014 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Default4 wrote:

@NY10007 wrote:

No, but to be able to transfer the weaker express points to regular MR or First MR, you need both. The point levels have different values.

http://www.membershiprewards.com/tier/tierComparison/tierComparison.aspx

Exactly. This only really applies to Blue though as it's currently the only personal card offered with MREs. All of the other revolvers have different reward systems. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.