Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for American Express BCE (10K) - Question about CLI

tag
Hooosier
Contributor

Re: Approved for American Express BCE (10K) - Question about CLI

@jamesdwi wrote:

Patience would be the key here, I personally plan on growing to the high limits slowly, I have a 7500 CL limit currently next step will probably be to 12.5k or 15k, then after 6 more months up to 20k, and then 24k, and then the next step will be 30k my card will be 4 years old by then and the last step is only 25% so a lot less likely of requiring financial documents or other hoops to jump through.There are other posts of people with a longer history of AMEX getting limits over 25k with no documents required.

AMEX is all about slow and steady force their hand and they may request proof that you are good for it. With slower increases your other cards may grow with your AMEX, if the jump is too big your other creditors may decide the card is an outlier and shouldn't influence your future CLI's. This is just my theory, but with the number of NFCU card holders out there with 10-30k CL's yet most of there other cards stuck at 2-3k level provide good evidence that prime lenders may not consider cards with very high limits compared to the  rest of the report.

Thanks for the advice!  I think what I will do is ask for 2x CLI in 61 days to up the CL to 20K.  It's a little more conservative which should improve my chances and keeping it under 25K will hopefully avoid a FR.

Message 11 of 13
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

The automated system will only allow you to apply for up to $25K.  Anything over that requires your tax records.  I got that straight from a CS rep a few months back.  It is not actually the dreaded FR, it's just a safeguard they have for handing out the larger limits.

Now, this is only for requested CLI's.  Auto CLI's may go over $25K without the tax info.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 12 of 13
Hooosier
Contributor

@DrJim wrote:

The automated system will only allow you to apply for up to $25K.  Anything over that requires your tax records.  I got that straight from a CS rep a few months back.  It is not actually the dreaded FR, it's just a safeguard they have for handing out the larger limits.

Now, this is only for requested CLI's.  Auto CLI's may go over $25K without the tax info.

Okay, that's good to know - thank you!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.