Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Hilton Surpass

tag
PowerMan572
Contributor

Approved for Amex Hilton Surpass

After going back and forth between the Amex Hilton Surpass and the Citi Hilton Reserve, I decided to go with the Amex. I know Citi's card gets more praise amoung the bloggers because of the annual free night (if you spend $10k) and the 2 free nights for signing up for the card. However, in the long run I feel like the Amex card is going to be better for me. The Amex card offers 6 HHonor points at grocery stores, while the Citi version only offers 3 HHonor points. 90% of my points are going to come from the grocery store and the purchases are quite large, so I figured getting double points in this category probably better suits me. 

Now on to the Approval. This is my 2nd Amex card. I applied for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred February 9th and was instantly approved. Since then I've applied for 2 Citi AAdvantage cards and they've now been closed. I was kind of worried that Amex might deny me since both Citi and Amex pull from Experian. I got the dreaded "your application has been received and is in progress." I didn't hear from Amex all day and so I decided to call them. I called the number that was listed on the application status website. The guy thanked me for calling in and all he said was that Amex wanted to verify it was really me. He instantly approved the application and I was approved for $4,500!

I got the 75,000 signup bonus and I already have my reservation at a Hampton Inn in London this summer for 3 nights! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be putting the Hampton charge on this credit card :-( I have enough miles through my Capital One Venture to cover all 3 nights of the hotel. Would be pretty sweet to get 12x points for the Hilton stay if I used my new card though!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Hilton Surpass

@PowerMan572 wrote:

After going back and forth between the Amex Hilton Surpass and the Citi Hilton Reserve, I decided to go with the Amex. I know Citi's card gets more praise amoung the bloggers because of the annual free night (if you spend $10k) and the 2 free nights for signing up for the card. However, in the long run I feel like the Amex card is going to be better for me. The Amex card offers 6 HHonor points at grocery stores, while the Citi version only offers 3 HHonor points. 90% of my points are going to come from the grocery store and the purchases are quite large, so I figured getting double points in this category probably better suits me. 

Now on to the Approval. This is my 2nd Amex card. I applied for the Amex Blue Cash Preferred February 9th and was instantly approved. Since then I've applied for 2 Citi AAdvantage cards and they've now been closed. I was kind of worried that Amex might deny me since both Citi and Amex pull from Experian. I got the dreaded "your application has been received and is in progress." I didn't hear from Amex all day and so I decided to call them. I called the number that was listed on the application status website. The guy thanked me for calling in and all he said was that Amex wanted to verify it was really me. He instantly approved the application and I was approved for $4,500!

I got the 75,000 signup bonus and I already have my reservation at a Hampton Inn in London this summer for 3 nights! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be putting the Hampton charge on this credit card :-( I have enough miles through my Capital One Venture to cover all 3 nights of the hotel. Would be pretty sweet to get 12x points for the Hilton stay if I used my new card though!

Congrats on your approval Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 16
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 16
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 5 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your HS Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
dondilio
Valued Member

Congrats! I have the HH Surpass and love it. The card looks great and the Priority Pass Select is great (use their lounges and pay $25 per visit). What I don't like... 3% FTF. Enjoy it!
Starting scores (FICO): 1/4/2011 TU: 536 EQ: 532 EX: ???
Current scores (FICO): 9/10/2014 TU: 715 EQ : 720 EX: 732
AMEX PRG: NPSL; AMEX Hilton Surpass: $5800; AMEX Blue: $7500;
DIscover IT: $8500; Fidelity Visa Signature: $5000; CITI AAdvantage WEMC: $2200; Capital One Venture One: $4000; Santander JetBlue MC: $5000; Wells Fargo Visa (secured that eventually graduated): $1600; Nordstrom Visa Signature: $5000 Store cards: Sam's Club: $3900; Home Depot: $4000 Fired: First Premier; Cap One (secured and Orchard); Barclays, AMEX Zync with PSL.
Message 7 of 16
PowerMan572
Contributor

@dondilio wrote:
Congrats! I have the HH Surpass and love it. The card looks great and the Priority Pass Select is great (use their lounges and pay $25 per visit). What I don't like... 3% FTF. Enjoy it!

Thanks! The application asked for my Hilon HHonors account #. I gave them the 9 digit account. How long did it take for your status to be upgraded to Gold?

Message 8 of 16
dondilio
Valued Member

I was Gold already when I applied. However I was missing nights to requalify for the following year and within the next week after applying it was showing me as qualified for Gold for the next year. Hope that helps!
Starting scores (FICO): 1/4/2011 TU: 536 EQ: 532 EX: ???
Current scores (FICO): 9/10/2014 TU: 715 EQ : 720 EX: 732
AMEX PRG: NPSL; AMEX Hilton Surpass: $5800; AMEX Blue: $7500;
DIscover IT: $8500; Fidelity Visa Signature: $5000; CITI AAdvantage WEMC: $2200; Capital One Venture One: $4000; Santander JetBlue MC: $5000; Wells Fargo Visa (secured that eventually graduated): $1600; Nordstrom Visa Signature: $5000 Store cards: Sam's Club: $3900; Home Depot: $4000 Fired: First Premier; Cap One (secured and Orchard); Barclays, AMEX Zync with PSL.
Message 9 of 16
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Gold should take effect in about 30 days. This card is great, you also get 12 points per dollar spent at hilton. Last year I spent about $30k at Hilton alone.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.