Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex PRG and Ulta MC

tag
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Approved for Amex PRG and Ulta MC

TL;DR: I was preapproved for 2 cards and was approved for both with a soft pull. Smiley Happy

Yesterday morning when I was paying my Amex bill for the ED, I check the offers section and at the top, there was a preapproval for the PRG with 50k points after spending $1k in 3 months. Honestly, I didn't know it was a preapproval since I'm very new to Amex. I click the link to learn more but I didn't apply and went on with my day.

I went to my appointment at Ulta beauty, I go there a lot and shop online and in store multiple times a month. I have wanted their store card (it has good rewards) but I've never gotten a preapproval at the register or the SCT to work. I don't like cold apping so I was patiently waiting for a preapproval. 

Yesterday, I finally got a preapproval at the register and I went for it. Thinking they will probably give me the store card with at most $500 SL since that's what VS did a few months ago. But nope! I got approved for the MasterCard version of the card with a $3,000 starting line. My highest one, yet. I was in shock since I got a card I really wanted. The approval was a soft pull so I went home super happy.

When I got home, I thought about the PRG (I applied three months ago and was denied) and how much I wanted the card and also that I didn't double check to see if the offer on Amex was just marketing or a preapproval. 

Well, I ignored it all day and when I was done with work, I finally check the offer and went to apply and yep it was a preapproval with the prescreen opt-out notice so I applied and instantly approved. It gave me the card number right away and I got the 50k points after 1k spending bonus. It was a soft pull! Gotta love Amex!

My day ended super happy last night. The last card I want this year is the Amex Blue Business Plus, then I'm gardening until next summer which is when I'm buying a new car.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NICKI183
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex PRG and Ulta MC

Congrats on the new cards to your portfolio.  I do have a question, how can you tell the difference in your AMEX profile if it is a pre-approval or marketing?  

Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 2 of 11
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@NICKI183 wrote:

Congrats on the new cards to your portfolio.  I do have a question, how can you tell the difference in your AMEX profile if it is a pre-approval or marketing?  

Thanks! To answer your question, it had the prescreen opt-out notice in the application part, not on the learn more link. I compared it to the other offers and the others don't say anything about opting-out, it's just pure marketing. The PRG offer had the prescreen opt-out notice in the offers/terms, the rates and the application itself. The heading of the application also said I was preapproved and below it had the prescreen opt-out notice, again.

Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big congrats shoegalSmiley Happy. To get 2 cards you really want on sps is awesome, to get a better than normal bonus and the mc version tops the cake. Eat well, Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 11
NICKI183
Established Contributor

@shoegal wrote:

@NICKI183 wrote:

Thanks! To answer your question, it had the prescreen opt-out notice in the application part, not on the learn more link. I compared it to the other offers and the others don't say anything about opting-out, it's just pure marketing. The PRG offer had the prescreen opt-out notice in the offers/terms, the rates and the application itself. The heading of the application also said I was preapproved and below it had the prescreen opt-out notice, again.

Your response to my question has been very helpful.   Again, congrats!

Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 5 of 11
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Big congrats shoegalSmiley Happy. To get 2 cards you really want on sps is awesome, to get a better than normal bonus and the mc version tops the cake. Eat well, Smiley Wink

Thanks AJC!! You always make me laugh Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@NICKI183 wrote:

Your response to my question has been very helpful.   Again, congrats!

My pleasure! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
drboxing
Established Contributor

How long did you have your card before you received the preapproval for the PRG? I applied for Amex Green 2months ago and was denied, applied for AMEX Delta Gold and was approved. The card I want is either Green or PRG (charge card)

Message 8 of 11
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats, shoegal! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 11
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@drboxing wrote:
How long did you have your card before you received the preapproval for the PRG? I applied for Amex Green 2months ago and was denied, applied for AMEX Delta Gold and was approved. The card I want is either Green or PRG (charge card)

Almost two months, my 61 days are at the end of this month.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.