cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex PRG!

tag
swimswam

Approved for Amex PRG!

I honestly didn't think I'd get approved this soon, seeing as though I have a very thin credit file. I've only had one credit card through BoA for about 8 months- started out with 700cl and got increased to 1500 a few months ago. I applied for the PRG right after that cli and was denied, then went on a shopping spree with the BoA card and maxed it out, watching my score drop by about 90 points. Last month I paid a good chunk off and when my score raised again due to lower utilization I jumped the gun and applied and to my surprise I was instantly approved!

I'm pretty thrilled that I was approved with such short history, but it just goes to show that it IS possible for a 19 year old, or anybody just getting started with credit, to get in with Amex!

Starting Score: EQ 628
Current Score: EQ 704
Goal Score: EQ 730

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex PRG!

Wow, awesome!!! Especially only being 19 with such a short history!!!!!!! Congrats to you, hope you love it!!! LOVEEEEE my AMEX!!

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 2 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 13
Open123
Super Contributor

@swimswam wrote:

I'm pretty thrilled that I was approved with such short history, but it just goes to show that it IS possible for a 19 year old, or anybody just getting started with credit, to get in with Amex!

+1

Congrats!  

All things being equal, the ideal issuer with whom to start with is Amex.

Message 4 of 13
Express
Frequent Contributor

@swimswam wrote:

I honestly didn't think I'd get approved this soon, seeing as though I have a very thin credit file. I've only had one credit card through BoA for about 8 months- started out with 700cl and got increased to 1500 a few months ago. I applied for the PRG right after that cli and was denied, then went on a shopping spree with the BoA card and maxed it out, watching my score drop by about 90 points. Last month I paid a good chunk off and when my score raised again due to lower utilization I jumped the gun and applied and to my surprise I was instantly approved!

Glad to see you made it!  Smiley Very Happy

CL $408,200
Message 5 of 13
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Welcome to Amex family.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 13
911GT3
Established Member

Congrats! You could try for an Amex revolver right now on the same HP, that is, if you wanted one. Up until three months ago I was a no go with Amex and just last week , with almost nothing changed on my credit , I got a PRG approved . Right away appd for the BCE and was also approved instantly. I question Amex's criteria and wonder if they lax their criteria at certain times of the year on certain cards.....its just weird

Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

YMMV whether or not it will be the same HP. It will at least age off together if approved.
Message 8 of 13
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations .. We're you able to register into online account ? We're you able to get instant account number ?
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 9 of 13
swimswam

Yes, I was able to set a few preferences for my online account, such as paperless statements. I can't do anything else though until I receive my card in the mail. This will for sure be the longest 2-3 day wait of my life!

Starting Score: EQ 628
Current Score: EQ 704
Goal Score: EQ 730

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.