cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex green and premier gold, any reason to keep both?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for Amex green and premier gold, any reason to keep both?

I would leave it open for a year. FICO may appreciate it, it doesn't cost you anything, and opening an account and then closing it might be a problem with future underwriting later.

This assumes it has already been activated and used; if not it *might* not get reported but personally I wouldn't take that chance.

Also Amex does do bonus offers on specific cards, so the green might offset it's AF anyway if you get to take advantage of them.

        
Message 11 of 15
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys, just received my premier gold card as well as the green card. I applied for both and got both. Definitely want to keep the gold to get the 25k bonus points but figured may keep both and decide which one to keep before the year is up. Both have no annual fee for first year. Any idea if this is a good idea or not? I guess I would have to reapply if I cancelled now unless there is a way to upgrade or downgrade from one card. Let me know what you think

I would definitely keep both card just for the downgrading reason that you stated. After 6 months, I would get revolver with Amex and cancel the green or gold which is up to you. I personally think that having the Gold and revolver would be enough with Amex.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:
I would leave it open for a year. FICO may appreciate it, it doesn't cost you anything, and opening an account and then closing it might be a problem with future underwriting later.

This assumes it has already been activated and used; if not it *might* not get reported but personally I wouldn't take that chance.

Also Amex does do bonus offers on specific cards, so the green might offset it's AF anyway if you get to take advantage of them.

Yeah, card is already activated in it's own account seperate from my prg and amex blue. I was told my points on the blue will be upgraded to MR points so that's a bonus. I'm pretty sure I'll use the gold enough to offset future annual fees and the 3x points on airfare and 2x points on groceries and gas are a nice bonus. I am rebuilding my credit. Haven't had a card for over 7yrs so I applied for a bunch. I have a 500CL capital one cash, amex blue 8000CL, prg and green. So I assume even though the green is a charge, keeping it open and not using it or using it for very small things here and there throughout the year will be a plus on my credit. Thanks for helping out, I almost cancelled it but I agree, prob better to keep it open for the next year and then keep the gold.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, quick question. I can't get my FICO score since my credit history does not reveal any credit lines. How long for these new cards to begin reporting before I can sign up here for my Fico membership? 6 months?

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

When I hit 1 year w/ my Zync NPSL, I'll be apping for a MR points offer PRG!

Go with the Gold!

Repo-ed, as a heads up, currently AMEX has restrictions on application bonuses for charge cards if you already have a charge card, You would need to cancel your charge card for 90 days and app after that to receive the bonus. Cancelling your current card w/o another MR's card in your line up (such as the plain vanilla blue) will forfeit all accrued MRE points.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.