cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Discover It AND American Express Everyday!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Discover It AND American Express Everyday!

Yeah I think I am going to build a good payment history with AMEX for a few months before I try and hit the love button.  Just got my Discover Card in the mail yesterday (Wednesday) and have paid for a few things with it already!  It looks so nice!  Now just have to wait for the AMEX to come in lol.

Thank you everyone for the congrats!

Also I should add that when I received my Experian score from Discover it stated it was 687.  So I guess my local credit union might have pulled my score from a different agency.  I would assume it should pop up considering that my only card that I had at the time of applying was a $550 limit w/ $100 on it.  Now with the $5300 limit from Discover and $2500 from AMEX my credit line is $8350, $7800 if you exclude the store card.

Message 11 of 22
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, everyone I am Matt and have been lurking the forums for a few weeks.  It has been a long journey to try and build up credit but I think I am on the right track.  4 years ago I first started off with a small $500 secured loan from my local Credit Union.  Paid it off after 6 months then got a $1000 secured loan.  Paid that one off after a year and then got a $3000 secured loan and that one took a year and a half to pay off.  Well after all these secured loans I got my first signature loan for $1000!  Paid that off in 6 months and then got a $2000 signature loan which I am currently still paying off(when my credit union gave me my credit score it was a 721, I can't remember from which agency it was from though).  

Well a few months ago a friend got approved for a GameStop Credit Card through Comenity and I thought what the heck I should give it a go, so I applied and got the wait 7-10 day message and I was a little upset.  Well after a week I received a letter in the mail tellilng me that I needed to call them so they could verify some information and a few security questions later and I got approved for $550!  I know that is a low limit but I was kind of excited to get my first credit card.  Well I put about $140 on it and after the statement closed I paid $40 (minimum was $25).  Well just recently got the statement again and paid another $40.  I started to receive preaprovals in the mail from Bank One, Capital One and to my surprise Discover!  Last Wednesday I was contemplating whether or not I should try applying for the Discover It card and I said what the heck and pulled the trigger.  I entered the reference # and filled out some information and then BOOM approved on the spot!  I called the following day (Thursday) and was informed my Credit Limit on the card was $5300!  Wow I couldn't believe it!  Well on Saturday evening I received the email that the card was shipped and that I should be expecting it in 3-5 days (I can hardly wait!).  Well after receiving the email I was telling myself that maybe in 6 months - 1 year I could apply for an American Express Credit Card.  Well I was thinking about it and decided, well it wouldn't hurt too much to apply right now, worse case scenario I get denied and an extra HP.  Well I filled out all the information online for the American Express Everyday Credit Card and BOOM approved on the spot for $2500 and it let me create my account right away.  I received the email immediately afterwards to expect my card within 7-10 days.  Has anyone else had luck like this?  Pretty excited that my first 2 real credit cards are pretty well known.  Just felt like sharing my personal story and would like to know what others have to say.  

Also I have never made a late payment for a bill what so ever.

Update:  When I received my card from Discover it stated that my Experian score was 687.

Congrats on your new cards!!!

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum and the Discover It and American Express family!!! Congrats on all of your successes!!!! Awesome SLs on both of your prime credit cards!!! Keep up the good work!!! IMO, now may be the perfect time to hang out in the garden.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
It's up to you if you want to try for the Amex 3x CLI immediately. However keep in mind that if you are denied, you have to wait 90 days to try again, and 181 days to try again if approved.

+1

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Most people used to get instant approval on gameStop. Since it caters to the younger crowd they do a lot more verification that may or may not be a fact… i get that feeling every time I'm in there and my good hearing just picks things up
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone!  I just wanted to add that my AMEX came in the mail today Smiley Very Happy went ahead and already activated it and am looking forward to using it and paying it off in full!  In the papers it said that my Experian score was 684 (Discover said it was 887) so I assume it dropped a few points because of me applying for Discover.  No biggie I am gonna listen to everyone's advice and tend to my garden.  

It also stated that the reasoons that were affecting my score were "Length of time accounts have been established" which was the new loan and the Gamestop card I aquired a few months ago.

"Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high" Like I said I just took out a loan a few months ago so that would make sense.  

"Length of time revolving accounts have been established" Well just got my first credit card a few months ago so that makes sense.  

"Too few accounts currently paid as agreed"  I looked this one up thinking that there was late payments showing up on my report but in fact it basically means that I don't have enough accounts that I am currently paying on, so hopefully these 2 new credit cards help that portion of it out.

Message 17 of 22
freshprince32
Valued Member

Congrats!. I'm looking forward to applying for the same 2 cards
exp:684
eq:686
tu:718

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals! Welcome to Myfico!

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.