Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Freedom-Denied Discover

tag
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Approved for Freedom-Denied Discover

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

The Good - Instantly Approved for Chase Freedom with $7,000 credit line.

The Bad - Denied Discover More (Dreaded 30 day notice)

The Ugly - Chase did not even permit me to Apply for their Chase Saphire Preferred

I celebrated hitting 800 today by going on a mini App Spree.

I am Amex Heavy (3 cards) so I have been waiting for the right opportunity to apply for some different cards.

I had opened a Chase checking account three months ago and today tried to Apply for a CSP

but the Chase Website stated their Saphire Preferred was NOT AVAILABLE to me so I tried to apply for their Freedom Card and I was instantly approved with a CL of $7,000.

I simultaneously applied for the Discover More card as they have been sending me Pre- Approvals every week for months. I received the dreaded 30 day notification.

So Chase accepted me with a $7,000 credit limit for their Freedom card and Discover turned me down. 

I was unable to apply for the Chase Saphire even though I have an account with them and have 800 scores.

Discover turns me down even though I have 800 scores and have an Amex True Savings with a Credit Line of $10,000.

No Negatives

Short Credit History 10 months but Long Amex Back Date 29 years

Go figure.

UPDATE To FOLLOW

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Freedom-Denied Discover

You should call Discover...maybe they just need to Verify ID? I doubt they'd decline with those scores!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 56
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

+1 yes u are assuming u were denied. Congrats on the approval from chase!

Message 3 of 56
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Chase approval! I would call Discover and check on the status. A message saying they need more time is not a denial!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 56
HiLine
Blogger

I bet Discover accepted you. They may be suspicious of your FICO score though lol. Congratulations!!!!

Message 5 of 56
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Humbling.

I was a bit surprised, I guess I thought I would be instantly approved by Discover as they have been sending me so many pr-approval letters in the mail.

To tell you the truth I really did not want a Discover card. I really wanted the CSP.

The Discover application was filed simultaneously in case I did not get approved for the CSP or Freedom.

My overall plan was to have an Amex Charge card, an Amex Revolver, a Chase Saphire Preferred and two other credit cards.

I would then cut my CapitalOne secured card loose and get my secured deposit back

and then off I will go to the Garden locking the Gate behing me. 

Thanks for Playing.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 6 of 56
distantarray
Established Contributor

call the recon line for Chase Sapphire, they don't like opening two accounts on the same day but you can talk them into it, if you have a checking with them use that as your leverage people have reported they didn't know you had one unless you tell them. I was able to recon no problem. Got both on same day with much less score than you =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 56
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

Thanks I will give them a call.

Seems strange that I could not even get to the application page on the CSP but had no problem ith the Freedom.

I would like to have the Chase Trifecta.

Discover More $750 11/12
Message 8 of 56
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Mustangfrank wrote:

Thanks I will give them a call.

Seems strange that I could not even get to the application page on the CSP but had no problem ith the Freedom.

I would like to have the Chase Trifecta.

i actually quoted the Trifecta lol, they said what why do i want the Freedom (i went csp first) then I said since I have checking with Chase I wanted 10/10 with Freedom and able to transfer to the CSP lol I also noted I had 50k+ in their checking Smiley Wink 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 56
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@Mustangfrank wrote:

Humbling.

I was a bit surprised, I guess I thought I would be instantly approved by Discover as they have been sending me so many pr-approval letters in the mail.

To tell you the truth I really did not want a Discover card. I really wanted the CSP.

The Discover application was filed simultaneously in case I did not get approved for the CSP or Freedom.

If you're interested call them. Discover is one of those companies that mean it when they send out those pre-approves. Not to mention, your scores are out of this world. Im sure a representative will go above and beyond to get you in with their great CS

Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.