Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Gold Delta AMEX!

tag
tyler84098
Established Member

Approved for Gold Delta AMEX!

I have been wanting this card for 2 years and now I have finally have it! Was approved for 3,500 instantly after a phone call to verify info due alerts on my EX file. My EX score was sitting at 500 a little over a month ago with several open collections, negative accounts and 30/60/90 hits on my reports. After paying down all balances, negotiating PFD's, and disputing everything else I was able to get 90% of my negative information off within 30 days. This was due to the fact that I subdued to a lot of credit offers from crappy CC's like Imagine, Salute, etc. that have since been bought and changed hands several times over so they can't even confirm information.

My EX Fako score is 678 now (T- 663, E- unk). I have a USAA AMEX Secured at $3,250, USAA MC Sec $1500, US Airways (Barclays) $1560 (request increase 2 weeks ago after credit files were updated and they gave me $1,000 instantly online), Barclays Rewards $1,300 (also approved 2 weeks ago right after the increase on US Airways) and now Delta Gold Amex at $3,500 - highest unsecured limit yet! I am 26, make $80k and only $30k in student loans (all on time, no delq.)

Alot of people complain about the annual fee, miles travel availability, etc. My opinion is #1 - it's an Amex - it will save your butt with the rental car coverage, extra purchase coverage, and free chacked bag (I travel a lot on Delta), #2 Book your trip a month or two in advance and you can get most flights you need and #3 it gets your feet in the door with Amex and its othe cards. I plan on applying for the Costco card in another month. My only question is does it have a chip-and-pin card available yet since I will be doing Euro travel for work in a month on and off over a 6 month period.

My advise to apply for this card is make sure your EX file is clean of collections and your utilization is under 20%. I applied for this card twice and was denied. Third time is a charm! Best part is they are expediting the card at no additional charge (most charge $30+).

What are my chances of being approved for the True Earnings Costco card?

AMEX Premier Gold Rewards NPSL - Chase Sapphire $5,000 - Chase Marriott Rewards $5,000 - Citi AAdvantage Platinum $5,000 - AMEX BCE $4,000 - Delta Gold AMEX $3,500 - US Airways Mastercard $2,860 - Discover It $1,500 - Barclay Rewards $1,300 - USAA MC $1,000 - Capital One $400

EX FICO - 694 - 3/10/14 (+4 from 02/14)
TU CS Fako - 663 3/1/14 (+40 from 01/14)
EQ Site Fako - 626 - 3/2/14 (+54 from 2/14)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved for Gold Delta AMEX!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your approval.  Great job on rebuilding, i know it has to feel great!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 11
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval,

thank you for the advice,

and sorry, can't help with the Costco questionSmiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 3 of 11
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@tyler84098 wrote:

I have been wanting this card for 2 years and now I have finally have it! Was approved for 3,500 instantly after a phone call to verify info due alerts on my EX file. My EX score was sitting at 500 a little over a month ago with several open collections, negative accounts and 30/60/90 hits on my reports. After paying down all balances, negotiating PFD's, and disputing everything else I was able to get 90% of my negative information off within 30 days. This was due to the fact that I subdued to a lot of credit offers from crappy CC's like Imagine, Salute, etc. that have since been bought and changed hands several times over so they can't even confirm information.

My EX Fako score is 678 now (T- 663, E- unk). I have a USAA AMEX Secured at $3,250, USAA MC Sec $1500, US Airways (Barclays) $1560 (request increase 2 weeks ago after credit files were updated and they gave me $1,000 instantly online), Barclays Rewards $1,300 (also approved 2 weeks ago right after the increase on US Airways) and now Delta Gold Amex at $3,500 - highest unsecured limit yet! I am 26, make $80k and only $30k in student loans (all on time, no delq.)

Alot of people complain about the annual fee, miles travel availability, etc. My opinion is #1 - it's an Amex - it will save your butt with the rental car coverage, extra purchase coverage, and free chacked bag (I travel a lot on Delta), #2 Book your trip a month or two in advance and you can get most flights you need and #3 it gets your feet in the door with Amex and its othe cards. I plan on applying for the Costco card in another month. My only question is does it have a chip-and-pin card available yet since I will be doing Euro travel for work in a month on and off over a 6 month period.

My advise to apply for this card is make sure your EX file is clean of collections and your utilization is under 20%. I applied for this card twice and was denied. Third time is a charm! Best part is they are expediting the card at no additional charge (most charge $30+).

Welcome to myFico forums and Congrats on your approvalSmiley Happy I would go for the TE card if you dont get it , it will only be a SP and a HP only if you are approved!

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 11
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Congratulations OP!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 11
brikays
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your approval

~ Hover over cards to view limits ~

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good job OP on getting your files cleaned up, you are to be commended, enjoy your new AMEX. I do not know anything about the Costco Amex.

Message 8 of 11
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

Congrats and as for the second Amex, as Wade said, now that you are an Amex holder, a denial would be a SP, approval would be a HP.  One more word, be sure and carry your mastercard abroad, may find more places accept MC than Amex.  Again, congrats.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 9 of 11
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@tyler84098 wrote:

The Costco AMEX doesn't have a Chip card in it yet but it will get one by next year in late 2015 at the latest (AMEX converting all of their cards to Chip & Sign slowly). The cards that I know that are converted right now are the Charge cards, Business Cards and the Blue Cash cards. 

Considering you were approved for Delta, I 'll say your chances are 50/50 depending on the rest of your credit portfolio. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.