cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for NFCU Secured , denied for unsecured any advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for NFCU Secured , denied for unsecured any advice?

I joined NFCU a few weeks ago, right away refinanced my car for 72 months at 4.29% and then applied for a unsecured card but was not approved. After a week long wait I have been approved for an secured card today which is a start.  I currently have three unsecured cards so I have been approved by some banks but I suspect part of the problem with NFCU approving me is a IRS lien that is haunting us.  I make 119k and have been rebuilding after some neglectful years you can see the scores below. My question is once I spend 6 months or a year with the secured card do you think I have a decent chance of getting approved for a decent limit on an unsecured card? I am working on resolving my last collection and I am confident we wont have any lates going forward.  My wife will be done with school next year at this time so she will go to work and our income will go up to 170k will that increase our chances to get a decent limit unsecured card?  I know the score estimators are not always accurate but I should be 660-670 next year according to the myfico simulator.

Any thoughts are apprecitated.  I plan on making a deposit this week to secure the card.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for NFCU Secured , denied for unsecured any advice?

Congrats on the secured card! I started with it and don't regret it what so ever. With NFCU your card will be graduated on the 13th statement or not at all.. They don't accept requests to graduate either. Use it wisely and have a good payment history. Good luck, mine went from $500 to $7k on the 13th statement!
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 3 of 5
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the secured card approval!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the card and getting in with Navy Fed. Like others have already said, treat them well and they will return the favor.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.