Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Sallie Mae Low CL

tag
BayRaider510
Established Member

Approved for Sallie Mae Low CL

So I applied for a Sallie Mae and only received a $1000 CL. Just wondering when I should ask for a CLI? I got the card as I am an avid Amazon User.

My Credit Stats:

Capital One Secured MasterCard $750 Limit, 2 years 8 Months

Barclay Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard $3100 Limit, 1 year 9 Months

Valley First Credit Union Visa $5000, 0 years 3 Months

Overall Utilization 2%

Credit Scores are about 740-750 across all bureaus.

I had to call the recon number for Sallie Mae and the guy approved me. I asked why the low limit and he said not enough strong usage on the Arrival Card.

Suggestions for higher limit? Thanks/

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for Sallie Mae Low CL

@BayRaider510 wrote:

So I applied for a Sallie Mae and only received a $1000 CL. Just wondering when I should ask for a CLI? I got the card as I am an avid Amazon User.

My Credit Stats:

Overall Utilization 2%

I had to call the recon number for Sallie Mae and the guy approved me. I asked why the low limit and he said not enough strong usage on the Arrival Card.

Pretty typical of a second Barclays approval, with low CC history. But you do have history with Barclays I see. YOu can try to recon, they have a great recon team, or you could combine your limits and close the Arrival. Try for a recon first and see what thats gets you. They should still be opennowSmiley Wink 

Message 2 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

@BayRaider510 wrote:

My Credit Stats:

Overall Utilization 2%

Pretty typical of a second Barclays approval, with low CC history. But you do have history with Barclays I see. YOu can try to recon, they have a great recon team, or you could combine your limits and close the Arrival. Try for a recon first and see what thats gets you. They should still be opennowSmiley Wink 

oops, sorry, I forgot to wish you a Congrats!!!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

CONGRATS. 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 4 of 17
BayRaider510
Established Member

Would that work even though i had to recon to get approved in the first place? What would I say?
Message 5 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@BayRaider510 wrote:
Would that work even though i had to recon to get approved in the first place? What would I say?

Just tell them you want to move the limit over and close the card. Don't call the CSR as they will tell you it can't be done. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 6 of 17
BayRaider510
Established Member

I don't reallt want to close the Arrival yet though as it'll make me AAoA atrocious and I'm trying to build credit for a house next year.
Message 7 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@BayRaider510 wrote:
I don't reallt want to close the Arrival yet though as it'll make me AAoA atrocious and I'm trying to build credit for a house next year.

ok, now we have a bit more info...Then I would say leave it alone, should Barclays some good faith of usage, and payments, and you should get a CLI on the new card in 6-8 statements. 

Message 8 of 17
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@BayRaider510 wrote:

My Credit Stats:

Overall Utilization 2%

What is your income?

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BayRaider510 wrote:

Closing the card will not lower your AAoA. I just closed a 5+ year old Juniper, (Barlays), when I reconned to get my Sallie Mae.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.