Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Walmart Discover

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Approved for Walmart Discover

I was gardening & had no intentions of applying for this card. My goal was to garden as much as I can & maximize my chances of getting approved for very high initial limit cards. I have SW at $8,500, Freedom at $7,000 & very soon my Amex Delta will be $9,000.

I was actually ordering something on walmart's website & when it gave me an option to apply for this card and get $20 back, I couldn't resist the temptation. I got approved instantly with $1,800.

I have absolutely no idea if it is a good card & I'm feeling too lazy to go through the entire threads. Just have a few questions at this time:

1) Is this a good initial CL for Walmart Discover card?

2) Does this card grow with time? Do they do CLIs? If yes, are they SP or HP?

3) Besides free monthly TU FICO score, is there any other major advantage of this card?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for Walmart Discover

@cowboyguy wrote:

I was gardening & had no intentions of applying for this card. My goal was to garden as much as I can & maximize my chances of getting approved for very high initial limit cards. I have SW at $8,500, Freedom at $7,000 & very soon my Amex Delta will be $9,000.

I was actually ordering something on walmart's website & when it gave me an option to apply for this card and get $20 back, I couldn't resist the temptation. I got approved instantly with $1,800.

I have absolutely no idea if it is a good card & I'm feeling too lazy to go through the entire threads. Just have a few questions at this time:

1) Is this a good initial CL for Walmart Discover card? Great

2) Does this card grow with time? YES  Do they do CLIs? If yes, are they SP or HP? SP

3) Besides free monthly TU FICO score, is there any other major advantage of this card? Gas 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 28
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approval.

1. Call and recon the CL
2. Yes, it's GE so it will grow, CLI's are SP's
3. No besides what I listed. -
Message 3 of 28
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1...congrats! Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 4 of 28
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Congrats on getting the Discover version! And yes as soon as you know it will be at a CL of $10K if you treat it well. It will forsure surpass your current prime cards.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 28
Blurbz
Contributor

Congrats, that's a good starting limit for that card.  That being said, was it really worth the $20 for the inquiry and a limit that, while good for that card, is low for your standards?  Given your goals, I'm not sure it was the best idea!  Anyway, what's done is done:  Make sure you get CLIs to get the limit up and don't get suckered into using it in place of your "better" rewards cards unless it really does offer more than they do.

Congrats on the approval, though! They all feel good Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 28
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

1) Is this a good initial CL for Walmart Discover card?

2) Does this card grow with time? Do they do CLIs? If yes, are they SP or HP?

3) Besides free monthly TU FICO score, is there any other major advantage of this card?

Congrats on your WM Discover approval!  I think that is a good initial CL.  My initial CL was $3,600 and a poster here told me to recon my limit but I never did.  However, after having the card less than 3 months, I called and asked for a CLI to $10,000 and they approved it (only a SP).  So even if you don't recon your limit, you will be able to increase that limit with just a SP.  Some folks here call every couple of months for a CLI and it always seems to be a SP.

For me, the free TU FICO score was the main reason to get the card as I already have a regular Discover card.  But I have to admit that I sometimes use it at Walmart and I will get $100 cash over my purchase.  I do like that option as Walmart is closer to my home than my banks are.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 28
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for your responses.

Before reading these responses, I called them in & requested for reconsideration of my initial CL. As mentioned above, they said it wouldn't be possible for them at this stage to increase the limit. However, I can call them in after 3 months & request for a CLI.

On a different note, I've always read here that for Discover cards (like Discover IT), customers have to wait for atleast 6 months before applying for a CLI. Is this card different from other Discover cards as far as CLIs are concerned?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 8 of 28
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Yeah, it mostly has to do with the issuer, which in this case is GE Capital Retail Bank. They do a lot of other store-branded cards (e.g. Gap, Banana Republic, Amazon store card) and are known to be pretty generous with the CLIs (in amount as well as frequency).
EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 9 of 28
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

I've always been very confused with the rewards on Gas.

Costco Gas stations normally offer a discounted price on Gas. I've literally calculated the difference compared to normal Gas stations & found Costco is around 1.3% cheaper. On the other hand, I think Freedom & Discover sometimes offer 5% on Gas. Unfortunately, Costco Gas stations only accept Debit cards & Amex Credit Cards. Now Walmart Discover offers 5c on each gallon, which really is only 1.2% on a full tank of Nissan Altima.

Life's so confusing Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.