Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for both Chase Freedom and Discover IT cards

tag
Manny121
Established Member

Approved for both Chase Freedom and Discover IT cards

I recently applied for the Chase Freedom credit card and was surprisingly approved having a FICO score of 680. I am currently a Chase employee and had applied to this card about a year ago and was denied at the time. I was very discouraged because I believed that at least by being employed by the company it was going to give me a slight advantage, but obviously it didn't. Having let time pass by, I received a prescreened offer from Chase back in April, but ignored the letter because I still felt that if I applied I would be denied. Just a few days ago I applied to the Discover IT card though, after receiving various prescreened offers and was shocked to see that I was approved for a $6000 CL instantly (I was schocked !!!). After this approval it really gave me the courage to apply for the Freedom card, ultimately it was the card I have always wanted because of the great cash back rewards and because I have all my banking relationship with Chase. When I submitted the app online I was instantly approved for a CL of $1500 and an APR of 18.99%. Not being very satisfied with the limit (since Discover approved me for $6000), I decided to call the backdoor number and inquired about possibly having my limit increased to a higher amount. The young lady who assisted me over the phone was very friendly and asked me a few questions to determine if I would be eligible for an increase. Before going through with the request, she did inform me about the hard inquiry on my score, but at that point I felt like being a risk taker. After waiting just a few seconds on hold, she came back to the line and congratulated me for being approved for $5000 CL which was very surprising because that's a $3500 jump from my original approval!! To sum it up, the process was fairly simple despite having to call in for the increase. I am definately looking foraward to racking up points with both these cards. 

AMEX GREEN [NPSL] ::: DISCOVER IT [$7800] ::: CHASE SAPPHIRE [$5000] ::: CHASE FREEDOM [$5000] ::: BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL WMC [$5000] ::: CAP 1 VENTUREONE [$3000] ::: AMEX DELTA GOLD [$2000] ::: CAP 1 QS1 [$1250] ::: BOA CASH REWARDS [$1000] ::: CAP 1 PLATINUM [$750] ::: MACY'S RED CARD [$500]
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for both Chase Freedom and Discover IT cards

@Manny121 wrote:

I recently applied for the Chase Freedom credit card and was surprisingly approved having a FICO score of 680. I am currently a Chase employee and had applied to this card about a year ago and was denied at the time. I was very discouraged because I believed that at least by being employed by the company it was going to give me a slight advantage, but obviously it didn't. Having let time pass by, I received a prescreened offer from Chase back in April, but ignored the letter because I still felt that if I applied I would be denied. Just a few days ago I applied to the Discover IT card though, after receiving various prescreened offers and was shocked to see that I was approved for a $6000 CL instantly (I was schocked !!!). After this approval it really gave me the courage to apply for the Freedom card, ultimately it was the card I have always wanted because of the great cash back rewards and because I have all my banking relationship with Chase. When I submitted the app online I was instantly approved for a CL of $1500 and an APR of 18.99%. Not being very satisfied with the limit (since Discover approved me for $6000), I decided to call the backdoor number and inquired about possibly having my limit increased to a higher amount. The young lady who assisted me over the phone was very friendly and asked me a few questions to determine if I would be eligible for an increase. Before going through with the request, she did inform me about the hard inquiry on my score, but at that point I felt like being a risk taker. After waiting just a few seconds on hold, she came back to the line and congratulated me for being approved for $5000 CL which was very surprising because that's a $3500 jump from my original approval!! To sum it up, the process was fairly simple despite having to call in for the increase. I am definately looking foraward to racking up points with both these cards. 

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
Manny121
Established Member

Thanks Smiley Happy

AMEX GREEN [NPSL] ::: DISCOVER IT [$7800] ::: CHASE SAPPHIRE [$5000] ::: CHASE FREEDOM [$5000] ::: BARCLAYCARD ARRIVAL WMC [$5000] ::: CAP 1 VENTUREONE [$3000] ::: AMEX DELTA GOLD [$2000] ::: CAP 1 QS1 [$1250] ::: BOA CASH REWARDS [$1000] ::: CAP 1 PLATINUM [$750] ::: MACY'S RED CARD [$500]
Message 3 of 9
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

two great cards

You can wear out that Discover Mall with all the discounts

nice work

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 4 of 9
Manny121
Established Member

Yes and I'm definately excited to do so ! It's going to be a battle between my freedom and discover card though Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your awesome approvals and using the information here to your benefit!

Well done!
Message 6 of 9
Manny121
Established Member

Thank you, I am definately looking forward to gaining more credit knowledge from all of you and hopefully making some contributions of my own.

Message 7 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats!
Question: do you want an Amex?
I app'ed for Amex the same day I app'ed for Discover, and both were approved.

I know the idea of an app spree is a little silly, but it would be a good idea to app for an Amex if you were wanting one lol at least it worked for me. 😃 Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 9
Manny121
Established Member

Thanks youngandcreditwrthy, in response to your question I have actually considered applying to Amex ....and funny because I was actually debating between the Discover and Amex card when I orginally decided to apply. I had received a few prescreened offers for Amex gold but my gut instinct for some reason told me to apply for discover lol, but anyway I would definately love to have an amex in my wallet at some point ...I'm just not sure if I should go for it now ...or stay in the garden for now after these 2 acquisitions. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.