cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for my smallest limit ever with great scores???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for my smallest limit ever with great scores???

I am very upset. I have an Amex ED card with a limit over $30k. Applied for the SPG card for the sign up bonus and got approved for $2k. Why?? 2 inquiries no babbies and 6% utilization!?!? What am I missing here.... Scores are over 750. Chase approved me for $17k 3 weeks ago. Can I recon?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for my smallest limit ever with great scores???

You're missing the fact that you're already 30K into your internal limit with AMEX.  Typically for younger accounts you hit a limit internally for about 34.5K before they start asking for a 4506.  If you don't like the limit then hit them up for a CLI and fill out the form to breach it.  In the meantime if your ED is over a year then you might be able to shift 8K over to SPG and then at your 3X bump SPG to 30K.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I chatted and the rep said I can move some of my limit if I want to after 2 months. Annoyed. I guess this card will just be maxed out for a couple of months to get the bonus and then closed. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 9
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Could it be your income vs the current exposure holding it back?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I chatted and the rep said I can move some of my limit if I want to after 2 months. Annoyed. I guess this card will just be maxed out for a couple of months to get the bonus and then closed. Smiley Sad

Bingo!  Internal limit is in place and that's why they went with a $2K approval.

Collect your bonus and in 2 months roll the limit over to your other card instead of just closing and losing it.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the plan. Get the bonus and plan a trip then roll the 2k over to my ED card before the AF hits
Message 6 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to wait two months if your donor card aka 30k card is 13 months old...If so you are fine and the world continues to go around.. I am on day 3 of waiting for SPG business card approval and I have a 28 ED card and a 22 SimplyBusiness and I am just waiting it out  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me know what your limit is!
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess is your current 30k limit combined with a low AAOA is what made them go with a low SL for this card.  I wouldn't take it personally, a great score gets you in the door then the lenders start to pick through all of the other factors like income, AAOA, utlization etc.  I would move over a chunk of the 30k to this new card when you can and than go after a 3x CLI when your eligible.  

I have a 12k limit on my ED and they only approved me for 1k on BC which I find a bit irritating also, once I get a good CLI on my ED I will transfer over some limit the BC and 3x that one at some point.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.