Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for secured citi card!!

tag
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Approved for secured citi card!!

Hi everyone!  I was browsing here and saw mention that the citi secured card no longer had an annual fee.   I was intrigued,  then I was bored one evening and decided to apply.  Think it was a Thursday night.   Saw the funds fly from my account.  On Monday the check status link was still saying under review.   On Tuesday I called and got a nice guy who said he did all he could with the application but it still needed further processing.  Thinking that was a kinda kiss off, I resigned myself to get a check for the money they already took out and thanked him for his time.  Man was I shocked to get an email half an hour later saying my card was on the way.   Smiley Happy

I know it is just a secured card,  but citi will not trust me with anything,  so this is a step up from the hahaha I usually get when I apply for their regular cards.  They did increase my best buy from 2000 to 4000 a month ago.

My credit has improved so much thanks to all of you that post here.   I've also finally gotten walmart and amazon to increase me from 1200 (walmart) and 1000 (amazon) to 5000 on both,  the walmart online and amazon by calling credit solutions.  Also saw that target got me from 1900 to 2400.  Also had a bank of America secured that I was able to get cash rewards added on. 

Now the last bank left I want a card with is chase.   Might have to wait until the bk falls off,  it's a main reason for why I get denied. 

Wanted to say this to people who would understand how accomplished I feel. 

Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for secured citi card!!

@ginger1477 wrote:

Hi everyone!  I was browsing here and saw mention that the citi secured card no longer had an annual fee.   I was intrigued,  then I was bored one evening and decided to apply.  Think it was a Thursday night.   Saw the funds fly from my account.  On Monday the check status link was still saying under review.   On Tuesday I called and got a nice guy who said he did all he could with the application but it still needed further processing.  Thinking that was a kinda kiss off, I resigned myself to get a check for the money they already took out and thanked him for his time.  Man was I shocked to get an email half an hour later saying my card was on the way.   Smiley Happy

I know it is just a secured card,  but citi will not trust me with anything,  so this is a step up from the hahaha I usually get when I apply for their regular cards.  They did increase my best buy from 2000 to 4000 a month ago.

My credit has improved so much thanks to all of you that post here.   I've also finally gotten walmart and amazon to increase me from 1200 (walmart) and 1000 (amazon) to 5000 on both,  the walmart online and amazon by calling credit solutions.  Also saw that target got me from 1900 to 2400.  Also had a bank of America secured that I was able to get cash rewards added on. 

Now the last bank left I want a card with is chase.   Might have to wait until the bk falls off,  it's a main reason for why I get denied. 

Wanted to say this to people who would understand how accomplished I feel. 

Congratulations!! I too have one.. Very rare I see people here with Citi Secured Card. Been scouring the Forum for Graduate stories, hardly find any..

I've heard some good and bad news from others like after graduation nothing happens and you will have to upgrade yourself. You get a very low unsecured line.

Oh Well At least the Secured Card is doing its job and reporting monthly postives to the CB's.

Good Luck on yours..

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats ginger! Nice line up.....treat them right so they will grow! 

How long one ago was your BK? 

@erick....citi graduates after 18 months. 

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Congrats ginger! Nice line up.....treat them right so they will grow! 

How long one ago was your BK? 

@erick....citi graduates after 18 months. 

Yup.. Mine Graduates this Fall around September.. Really hope they upgrade me to something good. When I check my app my secured card is showing as Diamond Card.

Also when I check Citi Prequal.. Only card they prequal me is this AAdvantage Platinum.. I don't even fly American..

Message 4 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats op!, this will open up the door to future products from Citi so sit back and enjoy the rideSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's more than just a secured card - you got in with Citi! Biggest hurray to you, ginger! You're doing quite well with all your recent increases, and getting the cash rewards added to your secured BofA card.  Enjoy all of your successes - very happy for you! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Congrats op!, this will open up the door to future products from Citi so sit back and enjoy the rideSmiley Happy

Mine hasn't even graduated and you see how it opened me up to these new Tradelines.

Definitely on a right track..

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major Congrats!!  You should get a Free real FICO score from Equifax from Citi now too!!!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP you could learn to fly A'A (darkside)? Again congratulations!
Message 9 of 28
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

Hey thanks everyone! My bk discharged January of 2010. I didn't include citi, never had a card with them even then.
Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.