Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto CLI from Cap1 with high util

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Auto CLI from Cap1 with high util

So I logged into my account this morning for my Cap1 Venture, and noted that I had received an auto CLI of $5K! This brings my CL to $15.5K. Knowing how stingy Cap1 has been with CLIs in the past, I was surprised to see this.

I'm wondering if it's due to my high balance on the card. My son was born 3 months early this summer (is doing fine now), and so we had some tremendous hospital bills. I normally don't carry any balances that accrue interest, but did these past two statements and reported a balance of 9.5K out of 10.5K available. It is our primary card, and we run about $85,000 through it each year.

Do you think they bumped us so we'd keep using the card instead of paying down the balance?

Ironically, I already initiated a balance transfer to my Discover It with 0% APR that just hasn't posted yet. We should have it all paid off and back to normal in a month or two now that my wife is back to work.

Just curious as to what you guys think triggered the auto CLI, since I feel like I was demonstrating risky behavior. They didn't know about the hospital, did they?
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Re: Auto CLI from Cap1 with high util

When I requested a CLI via the EO, my balance was high due to paying my routine household bills. I PIF before statement cut but didn't wait to request manual review during one of those times so they noticed an almost maxed card. They almost doubled my credit line, so I guess they liked what they saw (heavy usage). So your usage probably worked in your favor Smiley Happy

Congratulations on the CLI!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 2 of 14
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@avv7c0 wrote:
So I logged into my account this morning for my Cap1 Venture, and noted that I had received an auto CLI of $5K! This brings my CL to $15.5K. Knowing how stingy Cap1 has been with CLIs in the past, I was surprised to see this.

I'm wondering if it's due to my high balance on the card. My son was born 3 months early this summer (is doing fine now), and so we had some tremendous hospital bills. I normally don't carry any balances that accrue interest, but did these past two statements and reported a balance of 9.5K out of 10.5K available. It is our primary card, and we run about $85,000 through it each year.

Do you think they bumped us so we'd keep using the card instead of paying down the balance?

Ironically, I already initiated a balance transfer to my Discover It with 0% APR that just hasn't posted yet. We should have it all paid off and back to normal in a month or two now that my wife is back to work.

Just curious as to what you guys think triggered the auto CLI, since I feel like I was demonstrating risky behavior. They didn't know about the hospital, did they?

Congratulations on your CLI! Cap 1 is changing, and Venture is very different from the entry-line cards. Enjoy the 15K limit, it's awesome!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 3 of 14
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

Same here, logged in today and saw the auto luv / increase. Christmas gift I guess.

Cap One is awesome, will be in my wallet forever, regardless of what they're labeled in the past........

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 4 of 14
red259
Super Contributor

I logged in and no cli for me. Of course, I only have one or two charges over the last several months. I've been denied luv button CLI's for lack of use, so clearly cap 1 likes seeing heavy use. I just can't bring myself to put a lot of charges on my venture where I can get better redemptions on other cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anomalous wrote:

When I requested a CLI via the EO, my balance was high due to paying my routine household bills. I PIF before statement cut but didn't wait to request manual review during one of those times so they noticed an almost maxed card. They almost doubled my credit line, so I guess they liked what they saw (heavy usage). So your usage probably worked in your favor Smiley Happy

May have a light out on the Christmas Tree. Better check?!

Message 6 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

They liked your credit behavior even with the high utilization, grats and enjoy Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

It appears to me that CapOne likes higher usage. In my case, I obky charge a couple of hundred bucks a month with them, on a CL of $8,4000. They will not budge at all as far a CLI, despite perfect payment history with them and PIF every month, often before the statement cuts. I am pretty sure they don't like the fact that I am only using a fraction of my current CL as it is.
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 8 of 14
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Anomalous wrote:

May have a light out on the Christmas Tree. Better check?!

Smiley LOL

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.