Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BCE Approval w/ Imperfect Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BCE Approval w/ Imperfect Credit

Since I was a child, I've always wanted an AMEX card.  That green card was prominent in the 80s and early 90s.  Unfortunately, when I got older that dream quickly vanished, credit wasn't a priority for me and for this reason I'm currently in another rebuild.

I started my rebuild in November 2015 with scores in the low 500s.  My EX currently sits at a 668.  My plan was to wait until I hit 720 before attempting to apply with AMEX and at least 670 across the board before trying for any other prime cards.  My goal was January 2017.  However, after having a SP completed via CardMatch, it showed me some offers for AMEX, but I never saw any prequals on AMEX's website or any other website that were for prime cards through the prequal websites.

I chose the BCE, because I liked the cash back benefits and the offer was showing a specific interest rate vs. a range.  After filling out the app and erasing several times in fear of a decline, I hit the submit button and got the "we need more time" message.  My app date was 7/27.  I also applied for the Gold charge card to take advantage of 2 apps for one pull and was immediately declined.  I checked the online status page and it said "in progress".  Also, everytime I called in to find out more about the app, I was told that a special team was working on my application and that I could not speak to them and they could only leave notes on my app.  I was also told that I would receive a phone call.  After 13 days of waiting and no call, I contacted AMEX Headquarters since the new accounts dept. could not give me any info.  I was able to get the email address to forward information personally to the special team in regards to my concerns.  To my surprise, I received a call two days later from a gentleman wanting to verify that I actually submitted the app and I had to answer a few security questions to confirm it was me he was speaking to.  He then said congrats and told me that he was rushing my card due to the inconvenience of having to wait so long for an answer.

That was the most exciting feeling!  Yes...I'm typing a lot, because this was a BIG moment for me.  Smiley Very Happy  He couldn't tell me my limit, but I immediately received an email that allowed me to setup my online account and I was able to confim a $500 SL.  Yes...it's low, but I'm grateful, because I know it will grow.  My credit is FAR from "good".  Here's my EX baddies in case someone else is skeptial about pulling the trigger with AMEX:  2 medical collections, 5 unpaid CC COs, a recent 8 month late on my car loan and a few other lates up to 90+ still appearing in other areas of the report on open accounts.

Needless to say, I will be treating this card like GOLD just like the rest of my credit.  Between my new relationship with AMEX and NFCU all in just a few days apart, this week has been awesome! I've opened up some new doors.  Can't wait to receive my new card...I'll be taking advantage of the bonus offer...$150 after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that shared their BCE data points.  That also helped me take the leap of faith!  WOW!!!  I'm "in" with AMEX...still can't believe it.  Oh and...I feel like I'm apart of the "elite".  I know that saying isn't entirely true, but let me have my moment.  Smiley Tongue

7 REPLIES 7
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Re: BCE Approval w/ Imperfect Credit

Congrats to you !!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I was a child, I've always wanted an AMEX card.  That green card was prominent in the 80s and early 90s.  Unfortunately, when I got older that dream quickly vanished, credit wasn't a priority for me and for this reason I'm currently in another rebuild.

I started my rebuild in November 2015 with scores in the low 500s.  My EX currently sits at a 668.  My plan was to wait until I hit 720 before attempting to apply with AMEX and at least 670 across the board before trying for any other prime cards.  My goal was January 2017.  However, after having a SP completed via CardMatch, it showed me some offers for AMEX, but I never saw any prequals on AMEX's website or any other website that were for prime cards through the prequal websites.

I chose the BCE, because I liked the cash back benefits and the offer was showing a specific interest rate vs. a range.  After filling out the app and erasing several times in fear of a decline, I hit the submit button and got the "we need more time" message.  My app date was 7/27.  I also applied for the Gold charge card to take advantage of 2 apps for one pull and was immediately declined.  I checked the online status page and it said "in progress".  Also, everytime I called in to find out more about the app, I was told that a special team was working on my application and that I could not speak to them and they could only leave notes on my app.  I was also told that I would receive a phone call.  After 13 days of waiting and no call, I contacted AMEX Headquarters since the new accounts dept. could not give me any info.  I was able to get the email address to forward information personally to the special team in regards to my concerns.  To my surprise, I received a call two days later from a gentleman wanting to verify that I actually submitted the app and I had to answer a few security questions to confirm it was me he was speaking to.  He then said congrats and told me that he was rushing my card due to the inconvenience of having to wait so long for an answer.

That was the most exciting feeling!  Yes...I'm typing a lot, because this was a BIG moment for me.  Smiley Very Happy  He couldn't tell me my limit, but I immediately received an email that allowed me to setup my online account and I was able to confim a $500 SL.  Yes...it's low, but I'm grateful, because I know it will grow.  My credit is FAR from "good".  Here's my EX baddies in case someone else is skeptial about pulling the trigger with AMEX:  2 medical collections, 5 unpaid CC COs, a recent 8 month late on my car loan and a few other lates up to 90+ still appearing in other areas of the report on open accounts.

Needless to say, I will be treating this card like GOLD just like the rest of my credit.  Between my new relationship with AMEX and NFCU all in just a few days apart, this week has been awesome! I've opened up some new doors.  Can't wait to receive my new card...I'll be taking advantage of the bonus offer...$150 after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that shared their BCE data points.  That also helped me take the leap of faith!  WOW!!!  I'm "in" with AMEX...still can't believe it.  Oh and...I feel like I'm apart of the "elite".  I know that saying isn't entirely true, but let me have my moment.  Smiley Tongue

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to you!  Happy that you got in with Amex!  Enjoy your card! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your AMEX approval... Waiting to hear from the "special team" is torturous, isn't it...? Lol

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 8
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Congrats!  Use that card and pay it off ... rinse... repeat.... and that $500 can be $1500 at 61 days perhaps... and then as much as $4500 after another 6 months.... you never know! I absolutely know your feeling... when my credit rebuild in 2014 started.... Amex was the ultimate prize! I worked so hard to get my cards and made sacrifices with cash I didn't want to part with out of paychecks to pay off baddies.... so I could up the scores and remove the negatives... Congrats again and enjoy!

One piece of advice... just my opinion.. I would stay away from cash advances on the card... I see you have a QuickSilver... Capital One doesn't give two rips about cash advances... but I wouldn't take any chances now that your in with Amex... Don't pay for anything on PayPal etc as well.. just to be absolute safe... since it was a just squeek by to get in situation..... love and hold that Amex!

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied yesterday for the first time ever was was denied. I have one unpaid collection from 2011 and I recently started rebuilding in April this year.

I called the new accounts department a few minutes after being declined and they submitted my app for reconsideration and it is now standing "in progress" so I now standing where you once did. I hope I get approved, even with $500 SL would be fine, as long as I get my foot in the door with them would be great.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your BCE. It is really a great card. I wanted an AMEX as a child too! Their advertising back then made you really want one, even if you were 6.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.