cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Secured Card Early Graduation!!!! FINALLY.

tag

Re: BOA Secured Card Early Graduation!!!! FINALLY.

I had a secured card for $300. Last year I requested to have my account changed to an unsecured account. I was told that I didnt qualify and that was that. Yesterday I came across this post and decided to call. At first I did a chat with customer service and their only option was to close the account and apply for a unsecured. I wasnt conviced so I called the secured dept and I got the status changed to unsecured, CLI to 500 and the 300 returned to my account within 24-48 hrs. (i have the money and my account shows the 500.00. Also I received a call today stating that I have the status changed. All in all very happy that I am changed from secured to secure. They did a hard pull for all agencies

USAA EX 640 TU 667 EQ 667
Message 11 of 20
YahComb
Established Contributor

grats to the grads.

as long as your reports stay clean, theyre pretty good with CLI's in my experience. I got graduated in june @ 10 months, request a cli in early july from 1.2K to 3K, and then again near the end of october 3k to 6k(instant approved). Both times(although hardpulls) it became my highest limit card. 

Also got my annual fee removed last month; theyd already waived it for a year in september but now its truly gone. They like to give you grief about it, but if you find the right analyst you can get it removed.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 12 of 20
linux007969
Established Contributor

I wonder what my odds are of getting an early graduation in Febuary 2013, cuz by then i'll have the account for slightly over 6 months.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 13 of 20
YahComb
Established Contributor

i don't know of anyone graduating before 9 or 10 months.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 14 of 20
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Errrrr I want this card. I may just try for the $300 one instead of $1k like I originally planned just to get rolling. Hmmm.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 20
Isanham
Established Member

I just graduated at 7 months.  I initiated the call and took a hard pull for it, though.  CL stays at $800.  From what I can see they only pulled TU.  Got to update the spade status now, though... Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 608 (7/29/12 TU), 615 (7/29/12 EQ), EX ???
Current Score: 690 (12/29/12 TU), 650 (12/16/12 EQ)
Goal Score: 700+ by 7/2014

Message 16 of 20
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Does the card graduates to your choosing of cards?
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 17 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Tran92 wrote:
Does the card graduates to your choosing of cards?

No, it simply unsecures.  Any other change would be considered under BOFA's PC guidelines.  

If you have the non-reward version, it simply graduates to the usual platinum or whatever the base card is these days.  If you have the 1-2-3 rewards package of either type on it, it graduates to that specific one.  Since it's trivial to add the rewards package anyway, I'd highly recommend anyone that hasn't done that already to do so anyway.

        
Message 18 of 20
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

geez, i am so tempted to take the hard pull to see if i can convert it to an unsecured card....Smiley Frustrated My 8th month statement just cut yesterday...but i have been in the garden so i will be hurting my credit taking the hit...(if they pull TU it wil not be bad, have 6 INQ in the last 2 years there. but if they pull EXP then i will be screwed, have 18 INQs in the last 2 years there).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 19 of 20
Isanham
Established Member

@dodgerslv wrote:

geez, i am so tempted to take the hard pull to see if i can convert it to an unsecured card....Smiley Frustrated My 8th month statement just cut yesterday...but i have been in the garden so i will be hurting my credit taking the hit...(if they pull TU it wil not be bad, have 6 INQ in the last 2 years there. but if they pull EXP then i will be screwed, have 18 INQs in the last 2 years there).

Yeah, this was a strange decision for me, too.  My decision was if a HP was worth the chance of $800 in collateral return and losing the "SECURED" tag on the credit reports.  I knew full well this was a negative (but hopefully very small) hit to FICO.  Fortunately, it was approved and I got the cash back.  FICO impact will be hard to measure, as I'm using that $800 to pay down balances (positive FICO effect).  My reported balances are in total flux right now, I am not going to know what kind of FICO hit the single HP gives.

I got what I wanted here, which was the cash.  I am happy with that.

Starting Score: 608 (7/29/12 TU), 615 (7/29/12 EQ), EX ???
Current Score: 690 (12/29/12 TU), 650 (12/16/12 EQ)
Goal Score: 700+ by 7/2014

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.