Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in with Cap 1

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Back in with Cap 1

I previously had 5 Cap1  cards that had morphed from old HSBC/Orchard bank accts and was stuck with high interest and AF.  They would not alter any of the T&C for these cards, CLI's were sparse so I cancelled all of them after hearing that you would do better with "genuine" Cap 1 cards.   Got the pre qual notification and apped for the QS1 and Plat card offers and got 3K on each card.   The previous 5 cards only had CL totaling around 9K.  

These limits are low compared to my other cards these days but I hope the Cap 1 cards will grow.   I also find out now that Cap 1 is allowing combining of CL on cards which hopefully will let me move the platinum card CL to the QS1.   How long do you have to wait to combine limits

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

Re: Back in with Cap 1

Cards must be 6 months old

Message 2 of 9
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@GoldSorata wrote:

thankx......can you request CLI upon activation?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

@GoldSorata wrote:

thankx......can you request CLI upon activation?

You can, but it'll get denied.

Message 4 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approvals.  Yes they will grow with you.  I would wait until around the 3rd statement cut and request a CLI.  Capital One likes to see a lot of useage and payments to match. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 5 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

Congrats! Capitalone is super forgiving. The trick with them is, you have to test your patience. 2007 I burned them on 2 $300.00 cards, let them charge off. Stupid mistake but learned from it. 

2011- I was ready to take cards seriously again. Opened up several platinum mastercards with $300 and $500 SL. Today, I still have 2 of them open and they are QS MC's with $4500.00 and $7000.00 credit lines. I didnt see the best results until 15 months of payment history. But use the cards, make large payments on your balances and they will grow. Capitalone is good to people even if you were not good to them. 

Message 6 of 9
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats! ecxpa on your new return to Capital One.

If you read any of my previous post of disappointment with them in the past, this year they made up for it in a really big way for me and i claim them now as one of my BEST lenders to do business with.

Message 7 of 9
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats, happy for you!

Message 8 of 9
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Congrats! ecxpa on your new return to Capital One.

If you read any of my previous post of disappointment with them in the past, this year they made up for it in a really big way for me and i claim them now as one of my BEST lenders to do business with.

I too have voice disappointment and distaste for Cap 1........seems they are  "catching up" in the credit card business with decent CL and CLI's which has historically not been the case with them.  I think their allowing the combining of credit lines will take them even further.  Had I been allowed to combine my credit lines I may not have cancelled my previous accts with them.  

@Anonymous will just have to wait and see how this journey continues.  I will give them a lot of use and pretty much PIF.   Hopefully I can PC to a QS or Venture card with @ least a 10k CL within the next year or so.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.