Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America big CLIs with high utilization [UPDATED 9/17]

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Bank of America big CLIs with high utilization [UPDATED 9/17]

Preparing to do some BT shuffling and noticed that the BankAmericard Platinum Plus the analyst talked me into opening back in November had the Request A Credit Line Increase button.  Normally, I wouldn't even think of hitting it that soon but BOA has been good to me this year so I thought why not - just one more INQ on TU won't kill me.  Instant 80% increase from $12,000 to $21,600 on a card with almost $10k of 0% BT sitting on it, or about 82% util.  (Asked for $25k.)

I took the HP on Jan 1 for my Travel Rewards VS (used to be an MBNA card until 11 years ago) and they doubled it from $8,100 to $16,200 with about $5500 of 0% BT on it, or about 70% util.  (Asked for $25k.)  Decided after that happened that my wife should give hers a shot (I am an AU) on her alumni Platinum Plus, and with 80% utilization from a 0% BT she went from $25k to $40k (asked for $50k).  

So, 70-82% util and $32,700 in CLIs in 2 months!  BOA seems to really like heavy BT utilization! 

Update September 18 20, 2017

I keep updating with new posts but have failed to update the first post here which makes the changing of the title a little misleading!

So the journey this year:

• DW's Platinum Plus began 2017 at $25k, in January it went to $40k (asked for $50k), in May it went to $60k (asked for $75k), and in September it went to $70k (asked for $100k).
  • My Travel Rewards card began 2017 at $8100, in January it went to $16,200 (asked for $25k), and in April it went to $26,800 (asked for $32k).  Opened Premium Rewards card in September and they pulled $21,000 from this card to open it, so now it sits at $5,800.
  • My Platinum Plus card began with a starting line of $12,000 in November 2016.  Went to $21,600 in February and in June it went to $34,600.  I immediately opened by Cash Rewards card after this CLI and they took $6k of that $13k CLI and moved it the new card, so it sits at $28,600.
  • My Cash Rewards card began with a starting line of $7500 in June 2017.
  • My Premium Rewards card began with a starting line of $21,000 in September 2017.
  • All 3 of my cards have the Request a credit line increase link taunting me, but I am trying to garden and wait until summer 2018, when I will attempt a back-to-back-to-back CLI request on all 3 cards, then combine the limits of my Cash Rewards and Platinum Plus cards into my significantly older Travel Rewards card fail at gardening, and opened the Premium Rewards card in September 2017.
Message 1 of 78
77 REPLIES 77
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Bank of America big CLIs with high utilization

This great Bank abounds with generosity!!!

You treat them well and they know how to return the favor for you bigly.

Congrats!!!

Message 2 of 78
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thanks!  Oops, my first approvals thread so I forgot to mention that we both have clean reports, just high 25-30% util.  I had just done some BT shuffling in December, so my TU was only 708 when they doubled my $8100 line on New Years Eve.  Wife's was 775 when she got the $15k and mine was 731 yesterday when I got the $9600.

Message 3 of 78
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Grats K, you sure your user name shouldnt be :

K-IN-BOA ? Smiley Wink Boa rocks, but for you, Boa mountains !!
Message 4 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Hehehehe... that's a good one AverageJoesCredit ;-)

You have me cracking up over here... lol....

*Wow*

Message 5 of 78
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

FICOdelMio, this is what happens when im off workSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 78
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Thanks!  Oops, my first approvals thread so I forgot to mention that we both have clean reports, just high 25-30% util.  I had just done some BT shuffling in December, so my TU was only 708 when they doubled my $8100 line on New Years Eve.  Wife's was 775 when she got the $15k and mine was 731 yesterday when I got the $9600.

That's always closest to our minds on these.

We wonder if our FICO number is acceptable enough or not.

One fantastic thing about BofA is that they REWARD good credit management and not only focus on one single item like some are quick to do.

Makes life a treat knowing there is STRONG confidence that the good you're trying to do is being appreciated.

Message 7 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

What did you put put for income in the "Credit Increase" screen if you don't mind me asking.. Ballpark? Just noticed your sig so looks like you're well over 100k. Congrats on those monster increases.

Message 8 of 78
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Good ones.  He'll be here all week people.  Don't forget to tip your waitress!

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

We wonder if our FICO number is acceptable enough or not. One fantastic thing about BofA is that they REWARD good credit management and not only focus on one single item like some are quick to do.

I think with BOA, 700+ is good and 720+ makes them very comfortable. When I spoke with an analyst in November to get an APR reduction on my Travel Rewards card, she was insistent that if I wasn't planning to refi my mortgage (did it last June) or apply for a new car loan in the next year, that I should absolutely apply for another card with them and went through the list of cards with balances and we talked about what I could save by moving those balances over to BOA. They are not HP sensitive, which is a good thing since I have quite a few due to them!

@Anonymous wrote:

What did you put put for income in the "Credit Increase" screen if you don't mind me asking.. Ballpark? Just noticed your sig so looks like you're well over 100k. Congrats on those monster increases.

Just a tad over $200k, which is actual W2 household income.  Sounds like a lot to most, but it doesn't go far in a handful of cities where for example the average rent of a 2 bedroom apartment for a year would be an okay salary for some areas of the country.  It probably does help that BOA is our primary checking account and I am sure the underwriters and likely even the automated computers are able to see the direct deposits going in so BOA doesn't question the ability to pay.

Thanks everyone!

Message 9 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow!! That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

Message 10 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.