Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard for Average Credit

tag
IamB2
Established Contributor

Re: Barclaycard for Average Credit

Check out the approval link to get an idea.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/ProactivePrescreenLanding.action

If it comes up with the "Congratulations" (shown below) then you - well, she has a decent chance.

BarclayCongratulations.PNG

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 11 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

didnt show " congrats" but showed recommended

how is that different

Message 12 of 31
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Maharishi..... Congrats means that your approval for that card is pretty much a done deal. If you only get a "recommended" and not a congrats, then you'll most likely get declined if you app for it. Barclays is usually spot on on their congrats. I applied for the "recommended"card back in December and got denied. In march I did the prequal site and I got a "congrats" for the rewards cards, applied and it was an instant approval.
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for that insight. Could it be that TU is frozen and recommend was their only option? didn't I have to have TU open for them to give me " congrats" . isnt TU really the only bureau Barclaycards check on.

Anyways, i do thank you for clearing it up. I just dont want a denial. I will go for CreditOne it seems to me.

It is also why my best FICO score is on EX and want to try it one last time before i call it quits on/upto December 2014.

Message 14 of 31
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

didnt show " congrats" but showed recommended

how is that different

The difference is that "Congratulations" means there ia a pre-approval already for her. If it says Recommended, then it doesn't mean you will be denied, just means there is no pre-approval offer at this time.

One can try to apply for it anyway, and based on the scores posted, it will likely be approved. But since there are no pre-approvals, might as well shoot for the Sallie Mae. Better benefits.

EDIT: for typos

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 15 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes you need to unfreeze TU before you apply and why you wouldn't get per approvals too
Message 16 of 31
crystal0920
Valued Member

I got denied due to number of inquiries. 692 score

Fico scores 6/1/14 Ex 680 Eq 668 TU 692

Cap 1 Unsecured $750 / Cap 1Secured $200 / Kay's $300 / BOA $500 partial secured / Badcock account $1,200

Denied: Kohls, Discover IT, Barclays, DCU
Message 17 of 31
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I had this card at one point.  When I got it, my Fico was 650 or slightly higher, I applied on the back end of an app spree.  Instant approval for $750 limit (consistent with my other cards at the time).  It's one of the better cards if you have average credit; decent rewards, they post quickly and are easy to redeem.  I would probably go for Sallie Mae with a score of 700 though and you will need to unfreeze TU - both points Creditaddict already made.

Message 18 of 31
mynamemightbetim
Established Member

Thanks, she got the pre-approval congratulations for it. B335is was barclays picky if you had a couple new cards report right around when you got it? I heard they might close the line (idk if that's true)? She'll have two new accounts pop up right around the same time as this. She'll have the Cap1 report and a victoria's secret LOL. She sort of went on a spree. It didn't really budge her credit much though. Only the cap1 was an app, and an amazon store card from January. And the VS card was the "shopping cart trick".

Message 19 of 31
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@crystal0920 wrote:

I got denied due to number of inquiries. 692 score

did you recon?

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.