Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays customer svc sucks, Cap1 QS Approval

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays customer svc sucks, Cap1 QS Approval

Capital One has treated me much better than Barclays.  Much better.

congrats!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats on Cap1! Definitely call Barclays from one of the backdoor numbers! Good Luck!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 12 of 19
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry you had that break OP. I had fraud and Barclay's was really good about it. I was up in DC last year on vacation and I got a call from them asking me about charges that were made. Ironically they were made in my home town (in Tampa) but I had the card with me up in DC. So they took the initial step of alerting it as fraud, contacted me, and took it from there. I would have had no clue until I came back from my trip.

Congrats on your QS approval. It's a really nice card! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is illegal under federal law. They HAVE to close the card and issue another. THEY DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE. I would file a complaint against them with the CFPB. That is crazy and I am so sorry you went through that crap with them. That's the reason I don't have a Barclay and NEVER EVER would get any financial service or product from them. 

Message 14 of 19
someg33k
Established Contributor

First Congrats on the Cap1!

Sorry to hear about the Barclays issue. Clearly YMMV but from my personal experience with Barclays thus far, I have nothing but good to say about the CSR and CAs I have dealt with. Although I have never spoken to anyone on the fraud side. I have yet to speak to anyone at Cap1 that really knew much of anything about their products or credit in general. Though I do love Cap1 as they have been very generous with CLIs for me.

Message 15 of 19
bodyboy1
Established Contributor

>   Yay!!!   Congrats!..   no Worries about Barclays!   i've never had any problem in 5 years with them> just recently converted all of my Accts to Barclays Ring,    they will take care of that issue Quick fast..   That rep didn't know what she was doing.   i'm sure it's an isolated incident>   I love CAPITAL ONE  >  welcome!  >  i know you said ( he dosen't want a card)   Please please..  have him use that Cap 1 Card,   they like use use use & Payments,   hit the  (CLI) request button every 6 months,   don't accept the 1st offer,    go back 3 days to a week later Accept offer when it's in the thousdands..    repeat every 6 months>  Not before!
@Anonymous wrote:

My husband had a bankruptcy in 2009 (before we were married) after the economy tanked and he lost his job.  Because of this experience, for years he vowed never to have a credit card again.  I finally convinced him earlier this year to get at least 1 card, even if he just used it for car rentals.  He got the Barclays Rewards with a $2K limit.  Yesterday he noticed two charges on the card, one for $1100 and one for $465, which threw him over his limit.  He never received any kind of notice from Barclays he was OTL, and these two charges to the same place right after each other were not flagged as fraud.  So he called them immediately and the CSR was terrible.  At first, she didn't want to cancel the card and issue him a new one.  She said she would send it for internal audit and that would take 45 days.  My husband told her he would not be paying any fees nor any interest on those charges.  The CSR continued to argue that there was nothing she could do.  In the end she canceled the card and issued a new one, but he still has to go through the audit. By the time he got off the phone, he was livid and said he was going to pay off his charges and close the account.  

He had been impressed with the instant text alerts I receive from Cap1 whenever a charge is made, so I convinced him to do the pre-qual and see what they could offer him.  He did it, decided to choose the Quicksilver over the Venture, applied and was instantly approved for $10K!  So this Barclays debacle was a blessing in disguise, since he went from a $2K limit with 22.9% APR to $10K with $17.9 APR.  

Has anyone else ever had a fraud complaint from Barclays?  I've had fraud on my personal bank debit card before (not Barclays), and have never had it take 45 days or for them to refuse to let me still have that amount available while the fraud gets worked out.  Is this a typical thing?  It seems like Barclays is doing the wrong thing here.  They won't unfreeze my husband's available funds until the fraud is cleared, and being over the limit will definitely hurt his utilization until that time.  I don't understand this bank at all, and it's making me worried about the card I have with them.   

Amazon 5K. AMEX PRG 35kPOT./AMEX MAG 15k. BARNEYS 28.7k. Banana. BAO. CITI Bestbuy/Bloomies 15k/Diamond/Thanku/Macy's 15k. Chase/Freedom. DiscoveriT 13.5K/Chrome. FRONTGATE 4K. Jetblue 5.7K. JCrew 7k. JCPenney 5k. Ring 10k. Sear's MC 11.3k. SAKS 5K SamsClub 10K. Target MC 8.4k. Walmart 6k. Wayfair 4.8k... be good to yourself!
Message 16 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry about the Barclays issues. Perhaps you just got a bad rep. Personally, I would've called again and tried to get a different and hopefully more helpful rep. Anyway Grats on the QS approval!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I know.  He took the Cap1 card and will use it responsibly.  This Barclays debacle was a blessing in disguise.  I told him exactly when to ask for a CLI on the Cap1 cards, and he really likes that you can get text alerts whenever a charge is made (he saw it on my phone and was impressed), so it definitely helps monitor any fraudulent charges.  
@bodyboy1 wrote:
>   Yay!!!   Congrats!..   no Worries about Barclays!   i've never had any problem in 5 years with them> just recently converted all of my Accts to Barclays Ring,    they will take care of that issue Quick fast..   That rep didn't know what she was doing.   i'm sure it's an isolated incident>   I love CAPITAL ONE  >  welcome!  >  i know you said ( he dosen't want a card)   Please please..  have him use that Cap 1 Card,   they like use use use & Payments,   hit the  (CLI) request button every 6 months,   don't accept the 1st offer,    go back 3 days to a week later Accept offer when it's in the thousdands..    repeat every 6 months>  Not before!

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

He was able to cancel the card, which was the important thing.  But the whole experience just soured him on Barclays, and I don't think another rep will be able to fix that.  I know he's planning on paying off the balance and either closing the account or sock-drawering the card just to keep his utilization down.  
@OmarGB9 wrote:
Sorry about the Barclays issues. Perhaps you just got a bad rep. Personally, I would've called again and tried to get a different and hopefully more helpful rep. Anyway Grats on the QS approval!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.