Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Member

BofA Partially secured card APPROVAL!!

I had forgot all about this card application. I applied for a regular card a while ago and was denied but offered the partially secured card (Which I found out about browsing through these forums btw). So anyways I noticed BofA deducted $99 from my savings account which had me like huh??? So today I called and te rep told me I was approved and I'd have my card in 7-10 business day or even sooner. 

So can those that have had this or has this card give me a little insight on what to expect?

I've read about PCing this card like people do with capital one cards. 

Is that really possible with this card after having it for a couple of months?

Can you request CLI on this card?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Current Scores TU: 634 EQ: 620 EX: 571
Established Contributor

Re: BofA Partially secured card APPROVAL!!

Congrats! 

I would say to expect it to be partially secured for up to twelve months; however, BofA is known to unsecure it sooner, sometimes at nine months.  

Once the card is unsecured you should be able to PC it to another product (not sure if you can PC to Betrer Balance Rewards though). In the meantime, I would call them to see if they will add Cash Rewards to the card so that you may earn rewards. I believe this is an option, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not believe you are able to request a CLI while it is partially secured. But once it is unsecured, and the "Request Credit Limit Increase" link appers on your online banking page, you may certainly request a CLI. It will likely end in a hard pull on TU but it can be worth it if your credit profile warrants an increase. 

Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

Congrats on a great pickup. Hear this card will lead to better things with BoaSmiley Happy
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

I applied for a BOA card too. I was denied and countered with 99/500 secured. I accidentally logged off. Will I be able to get this offer back if I called? Will I receive the counteroffer in the mail? I don't bank with BOA.
Established Member
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My help/comment was not needed

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

CO_NATIVE wrote:

Congrats! 

I would say to expect it to be partially secured for up to twelve months; however, BofA is known to unsecure it sooner, sometimes at nine months.  

Once the card is unsecured you should be able to PC it to another product (not sure if you can PC to Betrer Balance Rewards though). In the meantime, I would call them to see if they will add Cash Rewards to the card so that you may earn rewards. I believe this is an option, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not believe you are able to request a CLI while it is partially secured. But once it is unsecured, and the "Request Credit Limit Increase" link appers on your online banking page, you may certainly request a CLI. It will likely end in a hard pull on TU but it can be worth it if your credit profile warrants an increase. 

When the card is ready to unsecure, the "request credit line increase" link will appear. This can be as early as FIVE months (it was for me)

Generally, at that point, you will unsecure, and get a CLI.   You should definitely call BOA and have the add the cash rewards to the card though.. 

Chasex3/PenFedx3/NFCUx2/BofA/BMO/AMEX x5(4 revolvers +Platinum)/CapOnex2/DCU/Blispay/Cabelas/BBVA/BB&T/HSBC/Atira/Commerce Bank/State Farm Visa........I have them all. Except Barclays. They suck. And Sync. They suck worse! And Citi,, because I Have 9,000 Inq.
In the 520-530 range in 12/2015.... Currently EQ747/TU758/EX744
NFCU & PenFed are my best friends!!

In 3/2016 I had a $1800 fully secured CapOne QS. And that was it.. Current CL $221,000 (plus my auto and RV loans)
Valued Member
0 Kudos

I just got the card and it's the cash rewards... 3% back on gas and a couple others... Cool...
Highlighted
Valued Member

@JDANA I received a letter in the mail for it after I was countered... Just had to send in a check.
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

I didn't have the 99/500 card, but I did have a $300 secured BofA card, called yesterday and they unsecured it after 5 months.  Got an auto cli with it and then requested more and got what I requested.  Calling today to have the rewards added to it.  

Starting Scores: 09.03.16
EQ: 569 TU: 591 EX: 570

Current Scores:
EQ: 674 TU: 730 EX: 679
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

LostInCreditSpace wrote:
@JDANA I received a letter in the mail for it after I was countered... Just had to send in a check.

Thanks. I'll go for it. I finally closed the darn Wells Fargo card that graduated from a secured card. I had the card 36 months and they refused to give me a CLI. My limit was $500.Smiley Frustrated

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.