Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR With Fraud Alert

tag
finfree
Regular Contributor

CSR With Fraud Alert

I applied online tonight for the CSR card, having waited until I closed on a mortgage. I recently placed a fraud alert on my credit reports after discovering a fraudulent hard pull inquiry by Verizon Wireless. Anyway, I pushed the apply button for the CSR and got the 30 day notification. Having looked at the guide posted here for Chase, I knew to call (these boards are great- would never have known to do that otherwise). As I suspected, the fraud alert was the hangup. They verified my identity (I was put through to two different people as part of the process). Net result: approval with $34k initial credit limit. The representative told me that when the welcome package arrives (I thought they did away with that and it was now just a white envelope) to call that same day and they would increase it. Not sure if I should do that- welcome others’ thoughts about benefits of a higher line. My utilization before this card is about 4% on roughly $60k of bank card credit limits. I live in CA and they pulled EX- I don’t think they pulled TU or EQ. I received an immediate alert from EX. FWIW, before I placed the fraud alert I tried the Chase pre-approval site and was offered nothing.

Starting Score (October 7, 2010): EQ: 698 TU: 709
Interim Score: EQ (October 21, 2010): 714 TU (November 2, 2010): 732
More Recent Interim Score: (March 14, 2018- all FICO8): TU: 831: EQ: 824: EX: 827
Goal Score: 850 all

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Re: CSR With Fraud Alert

WOW Congrats Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
finfree
Regular Contributor

Thanks Joe!

More Recent Interim Score: (March 14, 2018- all FICO8): TU: 831: EQ: 824: EX: 827

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@finfree wrote:
 They verified my identity (I was put through to two different people as part of the process). Net result: approval with $34k initial credit limit. The representative told me that when the welcome package arrives (I thought they did away with that and it was now just a white envelope) to call that same day and they would increase it. .

Congrats on the approval, very nice limit!

I will guess (with no direct knowledge) that the reason they told you to call is they may see an indicator on your account, which somehow put a limit on the initial machine approval, but left open the option for that initial limit to be overridden by a loan officer / person.

The caveat is to ensure they use the same HP as for the application. If when you call the offer is to do a new HP, then probably not the easy increase. By telling you to call the day the package arrives, that may keep it within the timeframe to use this HP.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Ah, the joys of having near perfect credit. Not even a fraud alert can stop you.

The regular joe would be advised to call the Experian Fraud Department the day before, and totally remove the fraud alert; so that, when they apply, it will be smooth sailing.

If one is really concerned, they can always put the fraud alert back, the day after they conclude their business.

Over the years, I've found it wastes an awful lot of unnecessary time... dealing with multiple agents, trying to figure out if I'm a fraudster on the other end of the line, trying to commit fraud against myself.

I'd rather just have them not be bothered with the spectre of investigating possible fraud. For example: I opened a Capital One Card, and had to call in twice to activate it, after getting declined after the initial activation; because, since there was an alert on one of the three credit bureaus, that I didn't want to remove... and, of course, Capital One looking nosily at all three bureaus.

I will say this though, if your ultimate strategy is to accumulate 500k in limits and then go nuclear and leave the country... the idea that you teased a fraud alert when you opened the accounts looks really good when you claim it was all just some Nigerian scam.

Message 5 of 8
finfree
Regular Contributor

I’m guessing that my SL was “human-determined” because I had to hold while a verification person “analyzed” my application, following which he told me I was approved, and what the SL is.

This is all rather new to me- the last bank card I applied for before yesterday was 15+ years ago (I have a CC issued about 7 years ago by my CU, but it came pre-approved— no application). It’s my fault; due mostly to inertia I hadn’t kept up with what was going on in the CC world, and just kept rolling along with bank cards (and their less than stellar rewards programs) issued 20-odd years ago.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice starting limit!

Message 7 of 8
finfree
Regular Contributor

Thanks dogz- I learned that 2 days after I spoke with Chase and was approved they pulled my EQ report (they originally just pulled EX to grant the approval). The Chase phone line still states my approval at 34k SL, but wonder why they pulled EQ.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.