Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Experian Score 35 points lower than MyFico Experian

tag
goldenyears
New Contributor

Cap One Experian Score 35 points lower than MyFico Experian

I just received a denial by Capital One on a credit limit increase request.  The reason given is my score is too low and they provided my Experian score that is 35 points less than my Experian score here on myfico.  Is this an issue with the report version or could they be using the score I had when they checked my credit for issuing the card?

Thanks for any insight or thoughts you can share!

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Experian Score 35 points lower than MyFico Experian

@goldenyears wrote:

I just received a denial by Capital One on a credit limit increase request.  The reason given is my score is too low and they provided my Experian score that is 35 points less than my Experian score here on myfico.  Is this an issue with the report version or could they be using the score I had when they checked my credit for issuing the card?

Thanks for any insight or thoughts you can share!

You sure it didn't say Equifax? Cap1 usually decides based on EQ even if they pull all 3.

Message 2 of 11
goldenyears
New Contributor

Sorry, yes it was Equifax!

ETA:  Just spoke with them, they used an old score on file, not the current one.  I asked if this was common practice with them, so I would know if there was any need to request a limit increase again in the future.  I was referred to their FAQ, so no closure.

I worked to get my score into the 700s before even requesting a limit increase, so it was annoying to have them use my pre-credit repair score for their decision.  Ugh

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe its their internal risk model?

Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Also when was it dated?  They have been using SP's from July recently for people trying to get CLI's....  Betting you if you check the date of denial it stated 7/29/2014... Just a wild guess!

Message 5 of 11
goldenyears
New Contributor

CC - your guess is spot on!  Strange, since scores can change so much in 90-days - someone gone delinquint on all their bills in the meantime could get an increase where I could not.  

Message 6 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yep I am feeling they are having a programming issue... My score has increased 50 points or whatever since the last SP they did on me...  Hopefully they get the issue fixed soon as this is becoming a reoccuring pattern I picked up on finally today after reading alot of posts and putting 1+1 together.  I plan on trying again on the 1st to see if they have actually pulled something new within 3+ months as they always do SP's towards the end of the month it appears from my letters.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One declined you with a 700 score?  Do you mind if I ask which card it was?  Was it a Venture or Spark Miles?

Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap One declined you with a 700 score?  Do you mind if I ask which card it was?  Was it a Venture or Spark Miles?

Read original post by OP then folow thread.  It was for a CLI and an old score they puled, they didn't pull his 700+ score.

Message 9 of 11
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@goldenyears wrote:

Sorry, yes it was Equifax!

ETA:  Just spoke with them, they used an old score on file, not the current one.  I asked if this was common practice with them, so I would know if there was any need to request a limit increase again in the future.  I was referred to their FAQ, so no closure.

I worked to get my score into the 700s before even requesting a limit increase, so it was annoying to have them use my pre-credit repair score for their decision.  Ugh

Like that helps being that they are using old reports at the moment. SMH...

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.