Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps Program

tag
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

Capital One Credit Steps Program

I received my Capital One card and was enrolled in the Credit Steps program last October.  As I understood it, as long as the account was kept in good standing, with no lates or anything, I would receive a CLI every 6 months.  I did get one 6 months later, in April.   I just did the online chat thing with a rep from Capital One to find out when they would be putting in the CLI.  He told me that the Credit Steps Program was a one time promotion and that my account was already increased under the promotion in April.  WTH?  Anybody else in this program and received more than one increase?  I'm almost positive that when I received the info about the program in the mail it said every 6 months, not just one.  If it really is only a one time thing then the name needs to be changed to Credit Step, not StepS!

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Program

when I recieved my card 2 years ago it was 2 times that all.  However, posters on here I've seen are saying they're only getting 1 cli.  That's missleading if indeed it says that.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 44
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Normally it is one CLI ... and never again. They serve a purpose, but once you are in primeland you can cancel them ... you should.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 3 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My letter never said anything about every 6 months...it said...

"Welcome to Capital One!®Your Welcome Kit informed you of your initial credit limit, but as a Capital One Preferred

cardholder, you have been pre-qualified for an additional $500 to your credit line with Capital One Credit StepsSM. This is
an automatic service for new customers and an easy way to achieve more buying power. Simply follow these two steps:
1. Use your card at least once.
2. Make your first 5 monthly payments on time.
That's it. Just complete these two steps and you could automatically get access to your pre-qualified credit line by your 7
th
statement. That's how easy it is to get the extra power you need to fill up your gas tank, buy groceries, dine out... or just
treat yourself!"

Message 4 of 44
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

My letter never said anything about every 6 months...it said...

"Welcome to Capital One!®Your Welcome Kit informed you of your initial credit limit, but as a Capital One Preferred

cardholder, you have been pre-qualified for an additional $500 to your credit line with Capital One Credit StepsSM. This is
an automatic service for new customers and an easy way to achieve more buying power. Simply follow these two steps:
1. Use your card at least once.
2. Make your first 5 monthly payments on time.
That's it. Just complete these two steps and you could automatically get access to your pre-qualified credit line by your 7
th
statement. That's how easy it is to get the extra power you need to fill up your gas tank, buy groceries, dine out... or just
treat yourself!"

Yeah, fill up a SUV will soon not be any more possible, with the minimal CLI once receive ... Smiley Very Happy In Germany (where I am from), a $200 increase would be barely enought for 25 Gallons ...

My letter said the same

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 5 of 44
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

You're lucky, I never got any Cli with mine... Just the runaround..  I can't wait to burn the card...

Staring Scores:Transunion-636 Equifax-618 Experian- 640 (8/12):
Current Scores:Transunion-717 Equifax-(?) Experian 726(as of 11/18/13):

Goal 760 Across the Board:

Message 6 of 44
cracksmeup
Regular Contributor

Ok, then I guess I was wrong.  Poor Jeff, the CSR I was chatting with lol.  If I want to request a CLI then, do I just call and ask, so they can deny me?  Also, is it a HP or SP.  Thanks to those who corrected me Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 44
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Credit step program is a one time usually 50% of the original limit CLI.   

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Credit step program is a one time usually 50% of the original limit CLI.   

Only 16% of my initial limit D: 

Message 9 of 44
lithium78
Established Contributor

I got two CLIs with the credit steps program, but that was four years ago, so they may have changed the program since then.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.