Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Steps Program

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Steps Program

@cracksmeup wrote:

I received my Capital One card and was enrolled in the Credit Steps program last October.  As I understood it, as long as the account was kept in good standing, with no lates or anything, I would receive a CLI every 6 months.  I did get one 6 months later, in April.   I just did the online chat thing with a rep from Capital One to find out when they would be putting in the CLI.  He told me that the Credit Steps Program was a one time promotion and that my account was already increased under the promotion in April.  WTH?  Anybody else in this program and received more than one increase?  I'm almost positive that when I received the info about the program in the mail it said every 6 months, not just one.  If it really is only a one time thing then the name needs to be changed to Credit Step, not StepS!

Hmmm... Interesting... LOL!!! Well, here is my story...

My partner was approved for his CC (C1 Plat - $300 CL) back in September 2013... At the time I was not interested at all with CC's nor my credit - this past April is when I got involved with it all... He had gotten his first Credit Step CLI ($200) like in March, I had no idea (there is a clincher to this, the reason I had to mention it...)... Well after I started my own credit journey, I decided to help boost his journey even more as well (of course with the assistance of reading & lurking here for a bit)!!! Well as soon as I got my AMEX Gold (in April), I immediately added him as an AU... Thereafter, he had received a pre-qual for a QS, with his permission I app'd him and got a mere $500 approval out of it (his pay is not really that desirable to lenders)... I took full control of his QS, meaning I managed the spending, utilization, & payments... Mind you, he was basically maxed out with his existing C1 Plat (I had no intention on assisting him with that...!?! LOL!!) but managed to balance everything else on his credit with both the QS & AMEX Gold... (The clincher as mentioned earlier) I had tried the Luv Button in June for his C1 Plat not knowing he had already gotten a CLI (Credit Steps?) already (in March) - denied...!?! LOL!!! Well just about a week or so ago (ending of July), he received an auto CLI of $2,000.00 on that exact card (the C1 Plat)!!! So I'm thinking, with a bit of finesse, it is very possible to make things fall into place & work to one's benefit!!! Smiley Happy Good Luck to ALL!!!

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two Capital One cards that I love. The first I got in January I believe had an original limit of $300, which was updated in August to $500. The second card that I got in February had an initial limit of $500 that was increased to $2500 in September. I was quite shocked and called to make sure that was correct. Thank fully my credit has improved tremendously over the last year thanks to Capital One and my spending habits. 

Message 32 of 44
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Ive read on other posts where people have good success with Cap1 CLI's whereby they pump a lot of money thru the card/ Use it, pay it , use it, pay it, etc. This is pretty myuch what I'm doing with my Plat MC & QS1 cards.  Pumping 1k-.15k each month thru QS1 and around 600-800 thru Plat MC. Hopefully a nice CLI when the time comes.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 33 of 44
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

You get an automatic CLI at 6months if you play by the rules put forth when you get your card. You are then eligibile to be CONSIDERED for a cli every 6 months. No more than 1 are guaranteed. (If the conditions are met and your credit situation hasn't changed)

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

My sister Got 3 cli on the Capital one journey card within 14 months . Started at 300 and now she's at 2500 . She didn't use it much yet still got a 200 , 500 and 1500 cli's . Capital one confuse the hell out of me .
Message 35 of 44
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

Yes, I know this thread is super old, but it seemed like the most logical place to post this without starting a new thread.

So I had a nice conversation with a Capital One supervisor today and he told me that the credit steps program works like this;

When you are approved with Capital One they have a "pre-qualified" limit. You won't get that limit when you don't have the best credit right away hence the credit steps program, but he said that once the credit steps program is over your limit is increased to your "pre-qualified" limit. Interesting how that has changed, but that makes a lot of sense how people have been getting dramatic increases on their cards after the 6th month. The standard robotic response they give is a minimun of $200 if you ask though.

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied in September 2014 and was approved for $300. I did not know about credit steps but I did everything right and never missed a payment. On the very day of six months I received an email saying the message below and I was floored. I have since paid it off but I still keep it handy and use it occasionally. That was a big increase.

It’s all you! By successfully completing Credit Steps, you now have access to your fully approved credit line—and then some! Based on things like your payment history and card usage since you opened the account, we think you deserve even more credit. That’s why we’re happy to give you an even higher credit line than what we originally promised.

Congratulations, your credit line has been increased from $300 to $3,300! " 

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had NO mention of credit steps with my Plat. All I've gotten is: $500 CL and note that 5 mths of timely payments will result in increase.

Hit y'all up after thanksgiving.

It did raise my CS by 20pts so far tho. Love yewwwww Cap1.
Message 38 of 44
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^I never got any mention of credit steps either. But when I chatted with 2 different cap1 reps, both confirmed that I was enrolled in it and due for an increase after 7th statement cut.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 39 of 44
p-
Valued Contributor

Keep at it.  The 14,000 card I mentioned earlier is now 16,500.  The 300 dollar secured card is over 5 grand.  

And never a single hard pull.  

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.