Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Platinum Mastercard Approval and story

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Platinum Mastercard Approval and story

I wanted to write some good things about my experience with Capital One and the benefits of going through the EO to resolve complex issues, as well as discuss my credit situation for those that have lost hope .  To make a long story short, I have been on a mission the last several months digging myself out of the bad credit hole.  I started with a car loan just over a year ago and paid on time each month and just recently transitioned to a new vehicle.  I have had several deliquincies on my credit report from old credit cards and bad student loans.  I challenged many of them and had a lot of them removed from my credit report.  I also started with a $500 secured card last November with my credit union and added another $500 to it (to make it $1000) to give myself some more breathing room.  Since I have done well with both the car and paying my credit card balance in full each month, plus adding 100 points fo my credit reports on all bureaus, I have been eager to get approval for an unsecured credit card.  I applied with Capital One based off of of the recommendation from the people on this forum and seeing their willingness to initially work with people that have messed up before and trying to rebuild their credit.  Because I challenged many items on my reports, Equifax and Experian placed 90 day fraud alerts on my credit reports.  I applied for the Capital One Platinum based off of the pre-screen website that said I would qualify.  I was hesitant to apply because I didn't want another inquiry on my report, but based off of them saying I should be approved, I followed through with it.  Once I submitted my info, I waited a week and heard nothing.  I then called customer service and they told me my application was denied because of the 90 day fraud alert (they said there was no phone # on the credit bureaus to reach me) and therefore couldn't process the application anymore and that there was nothing further they could do.  I was not happy and upon doing more digging on these forums, I discovered the benefits of the EO.  I wrote to them on my wifes facebook and they wrote back that they will look into it and then get back to me.  I waited about a week and then got a call from a nice women and explained to her what happened and she said she will speak with another department to get it done.  She called back later the next weekand informed me there is nothing they can do until the fraud alerts are taken off.  I told her I didn't want another hard pull and to base it off of the last report that was pulled.  I had to wait another week to write to Equifax and Experian to get them taken off, once I did so I called the EO woman back and she told me she would have the other department reprocess it and then get back to me.  Just over a week later I received a person letter from her with a real hand written signature informing me that I have been approved with a $300 limit without having to do another hard pull.  I was excited and know that it will open many doors and provide me a way to prove myself once again.  I have to say that the EO is the way to go if you run into a wall with customer service.  Just go to their facebook page and be patient.  They will get back to you and they are reasonable.  Thanks again Capital One EO if you read this and to those with bad credit, keep doing the little things and you can make it right by making good choices and being patient.

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Platinum Mastercard Approval and story

Congrats they too approved me for $300 limit with increase to $500 in Nov. Hard work will eventually pay off.

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 2 of 16
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Florida1990 wrote:

Congrats they too approved me for $300 limit with increase to $500 in Nov. Hard work will eventually pay off.

Good for you bud.  Keep it going.  

Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome to hear. I want to stay in the garden a bit with the cards I have. Next year Cap1 is going to be my first app out of the garden.

Message 4 of 16
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@celticslegends wrote:

I wanted to write some good things about my experience with Capital One and the benefits of going through the EO to resolve complex issues, as well as discuss my credit situation for those that have lost hope .  To make a long story short, I have been on a mission the last several months digging myself out of the bad credit hole.  I started with a car loan just over a year ago and paid on time each month and just recently transitioned to a new vehicle.  I have had several deliquincies on my credit report from old credit cards and bad student loans.  I challenged many of them and had a lot of them removed from my credit report.  I also started with a $500 secured card last November with my credit union and added another $500 to it (to make it $1000) to give myself some more breathing room.  Since I have done well with both the car and paying my credit card balance in full each month, plus adding 100 points fo my credit reports on all bureaus, I have been eager to get approval for an unsecured credit card.  I applied with Capital One based off of of the recommendation from the people on this forum and seeing their willingness to initially work with people that have messed up before and trying to rebuild their credit.  Because I challenged many items on my reports, Equifax and Experian placed 90 day fraud alerts on my credit reports.  I applied for the Capital One Platinum based off of the pre-screen website that said I would qualify.  I was hesitant to apply because I didn't want another inquiry on my report, but based off of them saying I should be approved, I followed through with it.  Once I submitted my info, I waited a week and heard nothing.  I then called customer service and they told me my application was denied because of the 90 day fraud alert (they said there was no phone # on the credit bureaus to reach me) and therefore couldn't process the application anymore and that there was nothing further they could do.  I was not happy and upon doing more digging on these forums, I discovered the benefits of the EO.  I wrote to them on my wifes facebook and they wrote back that they will look into it and then get back to me.  I waited about a week and then got a call from a nice women and explained to her what happened and she said she will speak with another department to get it done.  She called back later the next weekand informed me there is nothing they can do until the fraud alerts are taken off.  I told her I didn't want another hard pull and to base it off of the last report that was pulled.  I had to wait another week to write to Equifax and Experian to get them taken off, once I did so I called the EO woman back and she told me she would have the other department reprocess it and then get back to me.  Just over a week later I received a person letter from her with a real hand written signature informing me that I have been approved with a $300 limit without having to do another hard pull.  I was excited and know that it will open many doors and provide me a way to prove myself once again.  I have to say that the EO is the way to go if you run into a wall with customer service.  Just go to their facebook page and be patient.  They will get back to you and they are reasonable.  Thanks again Capital One EO if you read this and to those with bad credit, keep doing the little things and you can make it right by making good choices and being patient.

Big congrats and you can see the hard work is starting to pay off!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 16
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@celticslegends wrote:

Big congrats and you can see the hard work is starting to pay off!

Thanks.  If you, or anyone else has any advice for me on where to go from here (new cards to apply for, or gardening time) I would appreciate it.  

Message 6 of 16
echo13
Valued Member

Congrats n Yes, hard work does pay off.... I too started with capital one years ago 2010 or 11 and a 300cl. after lots of hard work I now have cards with many of the big banks amex, chase, discover, & citi n also in low 700s.. Its amazing what you can do once you understand the whole system.
AMEX Green: NPSL | AMEX BCE: 6K | Chase CSP: 5K | Chase Freedom: 1.5K | Chase SW (AU): 10K | Discover IT: 2K | WF CashBack: 1K | Cap1 No-Hassel: 1.25K | Cap1 CashBack: 1.5K
Message 7 of 16
burghpa
Regular Contributor

@celticslegends wrote:

Just over a week later I received a person letter from her with a real hand written signature informing me that I have been approved with a $300 limit without having to do another hard pull.  

Congrats !!!  Another HP not wasted either, great job.  

I started with $500, cap1 raised it to 2000 after 6 months, so it is going to grow. I gardened a long time to get where i am now.

2013 Feb EQ: 550 | 2017 Feb EQ: 722

Message 8 of 16
Forte747
Regular Contributor

Congrats

EQ: 661, EXP: 667, TU: 682, FICO®
GOAL: 800s
IN MY WALLET: AMEX PRG: NPSL | NAVY goRewards VISA: $7K | NAVY CashRewards: $3K | Navchek: $15K | Cap1QuicksilverOne: $2K | Cap1 QuickSilverOne: $2K | Cap1 Spark Business: $1K | Discover IT: $1.4K | Harley Visa: $1.5K | Lowes: $3.9K | FingerHut: $3.5K | NASA Rewards Visa: $2K | Amazon: $1.4K | Barclay Apple Visa: $1.2 | Barclay Rewards: $1.5K | GM WM Elite: $1000 | Walmart SC: $4K | | Kohls: $300 |
Message 9 of 16
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Congrats!! Foot in the door!

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.