cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture or Chase Sapphire Preferred?

tag
MMTT31
Established Member

Capital One Venture or Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Hello All,

I have a purchase of close to 5000 bucks soon and was wondering which one would you guys choose for this. If I were to get the Capital One card I would have 500 bucks for travel (40,000 points for promo offer and 10000 Points for purchase at 2X points).

The other option would be the chase Sapphire preferred card which would give me 40,000 points, plus 5000 if I sign an authorize user, plus 5,000 for the purchase and net me 500 bucks for travel. But if you book travel through them you get 20% discount. The only problem with chase is that I already have about 12,000 of revolving credit with them, and I am scared they will just tell me no more and burn an inquiry. Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Venture or Chase Sapphire Preferred?

CSP hands down. How old is existing Chase acct?
Message 2 of 19
MidnightJester
Frequent Contributor

I would say Chase and the CSP. It is in my planned next APP SPREE early next year. If you have good credit score numbers and decent income I think CSP will give you a amazibng CL if you already have 12,000 with them on anothert card. They relly seem to like giving goood or better CL on second cards through them. My first is my Freedom my Second will be CSP,

and extra 20% off is a big savings on a big trip if you can plan it through them

Message 3 of 19
fot1
Established Contributor

Chase hands down for me..

Too many to list..
Message 4 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

In my opinion Chase CSP.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 19
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Think the answer is obvious now Smiley Tongue CSP and on the brightside if or when you get approved the minimum approval limit you will have is 5k I dont know if Venture is similar to approving on limits. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember, if they were to decline your CSP app recon may solve the matter and/or shift some CL from one of your other Chase Cards to make it work. Possibilities for CLIs seem to favor Chase too.
Message 7 of 19
MMTT31
Established Member

Hey guys, thanks for the reply's. I have three cards through chase, a freedom with a CL of 5,500, a amazon credit card with 500, and a Disney card with a 6500 CL. The newest being the Disney card, which I got in May. I didn't recently get a 1000 on the freedom and was Instantly approved for the Disney after I had to recon for the freedom and amazon last year. Like I said I am just don't want to burn an inquiry with chase but we shall see what happens. The only reason the venture is in the mix is because the 2x points but I already have a barclaycard that gets that.
Message 8 of 19
MMTT31
Established Member

Applied to the Chase Sapphire and was instantly approved for 5,000. Thanks everyone!!!

Message 9 of 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.