cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 5/24 a myth? Rule redefined, or did we just get lucky? CSP Approved after Recon

tag
Bone35
Regular Contributor

Chase 5/24 a myth? Rule redefined, or did we just get lucky? CSP Approved after Recon

Many on here have been very adamant about the Chase 5/24 rule and Chase not budging.

I have read many different interpretations of the rule.... 5 total accounts, or 5 credit card accounts, or AU's included...not included, with loans, without loans..etc

In our case it did not include store cards, AU accounts or auto loans.

I know this rule  has been well documented here and dont want to give any false hope, but felt compelled to say something.

Stats...

DW has 12 new accounts ...all creditcards within the past 24 months (4) Majors and (4) Store cards (4 ) AU accounts. 

We also have a carloan within that timeframe.

DW applied earlier this month for the CSP and received a "Needs further processing" message. Called immediately and was given the 7-10 day message through the automated line.

Waited it out as suggested on here to see what happens. Received a letter today informing us of denial, reason given was bankruptcy (9 years old) reflected on credit report. 

Called for reconsideration...Took about 25 mins, answered a few question.....APPROVED Smiley Happy 

Extremely happy to be with Chase! The Rep was VERY helpful and nice. This card was TOP on our list. Going to be our goto card moving forward. Smiley Happy

720 EX Chase pull on denial letter. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 a myth? Rule redefined, or did we just get lucky? CSP Approved after Recon

Wow, Congrats to your DW!

There is a faint glimmer of hope for more of us than before.

Personally, I am looking at 9 new accounts in 2015 and 2 AUs.  Two store cards with good CLI and the rest are all Visa / MC.

I never get anything from the Chase pre-qual and it isnt the right time for me to make an app, but I am more hopeful now, thanks for posting.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase 5/24 a myth? Rule redefined, or did we just get lucky? CSP Approved after Recon

Congrats! That's got to be satisfying!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and thank you for the data point.  Relationship has got to be the code breaker.  If one has a checking/savings, granted $10k, they've been approved. DW had an auto loan.  Relationship subclause.

edit:  I'm still drinking coffee.  Auto assumed that the Loan is thru Chase. My bad.

Message 4 of 12
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

5/24 did apply to me though. Could not get a pre approval, until when of my 5 accounts, aged to 2 years.

Message 5 of 12
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

I think lately the general consensus has been 5 new CC accounts. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this information!

Message 7 of 12
konupe3
Valued Member

Congrats! For my DW she applied and was denied for Freedom for the 5/24 rule because I put her as a AU on so many of my cards. She only has 2 new accounts in the last 24 months but adding in the AU's put her over the limit. However in a thread I started I was just approved for Ink so who knows. 

Fico Plus Scores: EX: 735 EQ:744 TU: 743
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect recon can override the 5/24 rule for people who already have Chase history and use the cards for general spend etc, and maybe other manual overrides as well. But who knows?

Congrats
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! It IS 5 CC opened. Loan, au, and store card have nothing to do with it
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.