cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Amazon Visa and AARP within 10 days, 1 approved 1 denied, should I recon twice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Amazon Visa and AARP within 10 days, 1 approved 1 denied, should I recon twice?

I will be brief.

I received a Cap1 Quicksilver and Discover IT in March, and applied for Chase Amazon 8/8, Barclay Upromise 8/10, and Chase AARP 8/18. 

Scores: Quizzle (8/17) 736, Discover Scorecard (8/17) 743, Cap1 Creditwise (8/14) 752, Discover (8/12) 737, Citi (7/26) 713.

Recent HP: EX - 2, TU - 5, EQ??

On the side: How do you guys know your actual scores & HP so well and know who pulled what so quickly?

So, Barclay Upromise was painless, it wasn't insta but I called and they approved it. When I applied for Chase Amazon I got the 30 days message, I called one of the helpful numbers listed here and they wanted me to mail in proof of address so I did it. A day after I dropped the mail message became 7-10 days, but two days later return to 30 days. Then today I applied for AARP and received a message askng me to call them immediately. The rep says there are two apps processing and we went ahead to do both. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying Amazon approved for $6k and AARP denied. I asked if he could do a recon and he said he would do so, then on hold for another few minutes and came back saying "this time I am unable to approve [the AARP app]". (Is the language there a little weird, or just me?) 

By the way, one interesting thing is that amazon sent me an email congratulating me citing an initial CL of $5k, but both the rep and the status systems say $6k. So I start to wonder if they were tyring to increase my limit with chase to approve two Visa Sig cards for me but only went to $6k hence failed? (Again, maybe just me thinking too much)

Anyway, since I have technically recon'ed once, should I do it again or let it go?

Also, I am kind of interested in US Bank Cash+. The 2 categories 5% is sweet in case I need to buy electronics during black friday and all. But should I just wait for now?

EDIT: Just to clarify including the Chase Amazon card I have 4 new accounts in the past 24 months, so I am theoretically good with regard to the 5/24 rule (unless there is a 3/12 subrule...) 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Amazon Visa and AARP within 10 days, 1 approved 1 denied, should I recon twice?

Update: I called them this morning and the AARP is now also approved, with $4k SL. Kind of low especially since Chase does HP on CLI request, but I am happy nonetheless.  

Message 2 of 12
trying583
Established Member

Re: Chase Amazon Visa and AARP within 10 days, 1 approved 1 denied, should I recon twice?

Congrats on both cards.

Message 3 of 12
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats OP on all your approvals lately ! Enjoy them
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new credit lines. It's a good time to garden now.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

ML where is the thread for the garden club? Can't seem to find my way to it .
Message 6 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

"On the side: How do you guys know your actual scores & HP so well and know who pulled what so quickly?"

We use paid credit monitoring servces.

You can try a one week trial of CreditCheckTotal.com (CCT) for a $1 trial period.

Myfico also has a paid service. Click on the comapre our products tab at the top of the page

Grats on your sucesses !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! What did you say to them to get them to change their minds on the AARP approval?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will be brief.

I received a Cap1 Quicksilver and Discover IT in March, and applied for Chase Amazon 8/8, Barclay Upromise 8/10, and Chase AARP 8/18. 

Scores: Quizzle (8/17) 736, Discover Scorecard (8/17) 743, Cap1 Creditwise (8/14) 752, Discover (8/12) 737, Citi (7/26) 713.

Recent HP: EX - 2, TU - 5, EQ??

On the side: How do you guys know your actual scores & HP so well and know who pulled what so quickly?

So, Barclay Upromise was painless, it wasn't insta but I called and they approved it. When I applied for Chase Amazon I got the 30 days message, I called one of the helpful numbers listed here and they wanted me to mail in proof of address so I did it. A day after I dropped the mail message became 7-10 days, but two days later return to 30 days. Then today I applied for AARP and received a message askng me to call them immediately. The rep says there are two apps processing and we went ahead to do both. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back saying Amazon approved for $6k and AARP denied. I asked if he could do a recon and he said he would do so, then on hold for another few minutes and came back saying "this time I am unable to approve [the AARP app]". (Is the language there a little weird, or just me?) 

By the way, one interesting thing is that amazon sent me an email congratulating me citing an initial CL of $5k, but both the rep and the status systems say $6k. So I start to wonder if they were tyring to increase my limit with chase to approve two Visa Sig cards for me but only went to $6k hence failed? (Again, maybe just me thinking too much)

Anyway, since I have technically recon'ed once, should I do it again or let it go?

Also, I am kind of interested in US Bank Cash+. The 2 categories 5% is sweet in case I need to buy electronics during black friday and all. But should I just wait for now?

EDIT: Just to clarify including the Chase Amazon card I have 4 new accounts in the past 24 months, so I am theoretically good with regard to the 5/24 rule (unless there is a 3/12 subrule...) 

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first guy who processed it seemed unfriendly, and I wasn't sure if I was talking to the analyst himself, I called the number the application website gave me right after I click submit. He also did the first recon, I should have said good bye and call again for a different person.

So perhaps nothing is wrong with my app, and just that one guy prefers not to approve two back to back apps. Anyway during my second recon I explained that I was aware of the 5/24 rule and how if I don't apply for a Chase now, and get another card (fifth since May 2016), I won't be able to get a Chase til early 2018. The analyst seemed understanding, and I also quickly chased up by explaining my many recent new accoutns is not because I need credit (I have 100% on time payment, in fact I pay in full every single month since I got my first CC 3 years ago) but that I graduated from college for two years and now feel ready to have more credit cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.