Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom AUTO-Upgrade to Visa Signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom AUTO-Upgrade to Visa Signature

Since joining here & reading a lot about Visa Signature, I called in to upgrade my Freedom to a Signature Visa version since it's the only card in my arsenal that's not a VS/WMC.  Upon calling in I found out Chase already automatically upgraded it on 01/05/2015 prior to me calling in, and will be delivering the card sometime in Jan/Feb.  Very interesting!

FWIW, I've been a Chase customer for years, do primary checking with them, and have had the Freedom (regular version) since 2011.  I originally had a 5k limit, got an auto-CLI last year of 1.5k, and then bumped to 11.5k when I closed my Southwest card in September of last year.  I don't know if "automatically exceeding 5k" triggered something in their system to upgrade to Visa Signature, or if they're doing the VS upgrade for ANYONE now above 5k who has the non-VS version, but it's happening unprompted by me (until I called in and discovered it)!

P.S. I had to get something notarized so I stopped in a Chase branch (prior to calling in) to do so but also inquired about the Signature version of the Freedom before finding out, ironically, that one was already on the way for me.  Turns out we know way more about VS than their personal bankers.... he had no idea what Visa Signature vs. regular was, and he even called in to which a CSR incorrectly advised him that "Only CSP card is eligible to be a Visa Signature".. which is either incorrect, or old news since they're now issuing Freedoms as Visa Sig!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom AUTO-Upgrade to Visa Signature

The CSP always start as VS because the lowest limit is $5000. Freedom can start lower so no VS for most of those cards.

From what I read to upgrade a regular Freedom to VS you need:

1. Limit of $5000 or more
  2. 13 months with the card

Message 2 of 15
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!!

Message 3 of 15
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Awesome! Welcome to the VS club! (I really only use the benefit for occasional movie ticket discounts).

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 4 of 15
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since joining here & reading a lot about Visa Signature, I called in to upgrade my Freedom to a Signature Visa version since it's the only card in my arsenal that's not a VS/WMC.  Upon calling in I found out Chase already automatically upgraded it on 01/05/2015 prior to me calling in, and will be delivering the card sometime in Jan/Feb.  Very interesting!

FWIW, I've been a Chase customer for years, do primary checking with them, and have had the Freedom (regular version) since 2011.  I originally had a 5k limit, got an auto-CLI last year of 1.5k, and then bumped to 11.5k when I closed my Southwest card in September of last year.  I don't know if "automatically exceeding 5k" triggered something in their system to upgrade to Visa Signature, or if they're doing the VS upgrade for ANYONE now above 5k who has the non-VS version, but it's happening unprompted by me (until I called in and discovered it)!

P.S. I had to get something notarized so I stopped in a Chase branch (prior to calling in) to do so but also inquired about the Signature version of the Freedom before finding out, ironically, that one was already on the way for me.  Turns out we know way more about VS than their personal bankers.... he had no idea what Visa Signature vs. regular was, and he even called in to which a CSR incorrectly advised him that "Only CSP card is eligible to be a Visa Signature".. which is either incorrect, or old news since they're now issuing Freedoms as Visa Sig!

Being inquisitive here ... you didn't get asked for proof of income did ya?

Message 6 of 15
lukepwnsall
Regular Contributor

Congratz!!

to get my freedom upgraded it was a bit of a fight but I got it done.

TU 786 (10/23) EQ 794 (10/23) EX 773 (10/23)
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice!

Message 8 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

This is interesting. I have had a Freedom card since 2012. Orginal approval for 7k, but was non-siggy. Current limit (through auto-CLI) is 10.2k. This past week, I received my annual credit reports and noticed that the reporting has changed from revolving/option to flex spending account. I called in to find out I had received an Auto-upgrade as well.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 9 of 15
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're right, we do know more about visa signature. Banks generally don't know much about Visa signature because they are Visa benefits and not provided by the bank. However, they should know freedom and other cards are also eligible to be a visa signature.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.