Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

I talked my DH into app'ing for a Chase Freedom card this past January.  He was instantly approved for a starting CL of $4,000.  So he's had the card for 5 months and today I happened to log into his Chase accounts to make his car payment and I happened to notice that his credit limit on the Freedom was now $6300 instead of $4000.  So that's an increase of $2300!!  Nice!!  The funny thing is that he has only used this card once - he bought tires for his car in February for about $700.  We have just been paying $100 per month on the account and it still has a balance of about $300 (using the promo 0% APR).  No other use whatsoever.

Meanwhile, I made him and our son an AU on my Freedom and we typically charge around $2000 per month on that card.  Have PIF'd every month prior to statement cutting.  I was approved for my Freedom back in November, so my account is a couple months older than his.  But no auto-LUV on my account!  Bahhhhh!!

The sad part is that when I told him about the $2300 auto-LUV, he didn't even get excited - he just shrugged his shoulders and then started talking about a meeting he had at work today.  Smiley Indifferent

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

Message 2 of 25
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Lol he just shrug his should and talk about meeting..... I think I need to start carrying balance. Lol
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Wonder if paying before the statement even cuts is your reason for no love... GE doesn't count the statement towards CLI if you don't report a balance either. (report balance, not carry balance past due date and take on interest.)

Message 4 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

The sad part is that when I told him about the $2300 auto-LUV, he didn't even get excited - he just shrugged his shoulders and then started talking about a meeting he had at work today.  Smiley Indifferent

Heh. Figures someone who is indifferent gets auto-luv. I'm soo focused on credit cards now that I find myself peering over people's shoulders to see what cards they are paying with. I saw a guy today paying with an american express jet blue card that I never even knew existed before. Its only a matter of time before I confronted by someone for staring at their cards.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Laugh, I'm sorry Duchess but I can completely empathize and I find it ironically hilarious in either of our cases.

The only card I've ever gotten an auto-CLI on was the one card I *never* want an auto-CLI on (Walmart).   I'm rapidly coming to a conclusion I'm not going to get where I want without chasing it explicitly, wrapping my arms around Amex as a result even if it's "stupid" from a rewards perspective.  Will be still using the Amex for gas next quarter rather than the 5% Freedom, just trying to pad the account for my next 3X CLI shot.

        
Message 6 of 25
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

@revelate I do the same thing all the time.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 25
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:
Lol he just shrug his should and talk about meeting..... I think I need to start carrying balance. Lol

LOL  Yeah, I'm starting to think that, too.  It's just so weird to me - the card is only used one time in 5 months and it's had a balance at every statement and yet they give an auto-CLI.  Chase is bizarre!!

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 8 of 25
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wonder if paying before the statement even cuts is your reason for no love... GE doesn't count the statement towards CLI if you don't report a balance either. (report balance, not carry balance past due date and take on interest.)

Could be?  Or maybe I'm just too new to them?  My DH also has a Slate Visa that started out as a Chase Manhattan Platinum Visa in 1990.  So he has a very long history with Chase, although he did have one 60-day late payment back in 2006 and it just fell off his reports a few months ago, but I imagine Chase still remembers?  I am an AU on the Slate.

Message 9 of 25
red259
Super Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

LOL  Yeah, I'm starting to think that, too.  It's just so weird to me - the card is only used one time in 5 months and it's had a balance at every statement and yet they give an auto-CLI.  Chase is bizarre!!

Maybe Chase thinks he is putting all his spend on other cards and they are trying to entice him back. I use a different card than my Freedom to show a balance to CRAs in the hopes that Chase will see that and get jealous and up my limit. In reality I put very little on that card and put most my spend on the freedom, but they don't need to know that.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.