cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


Creditaddict wrote:

Wonder if paying before the statement even cuts is your reason for no love... GE doesn't count the statement towards CLI if you don't report a balance either. (report balance, not carry balance past due date and take on interest.)


I'm pretty sure I was was reading about someone who got an auto-cli on their freedom and they said they always PIF before statement cut if I remember correctly. Maybe his CS has gone up and Chase saw that and did it based on that.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 826 4/16/17, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


red259 wrote:

CribDuchess wrote:
 

The sad part is that when I told him about the $2300 auto-LUV, he didn't even get excited - he just shrugged his shoulders and then started talking about a meeting he had at work today.  Smiley Indifferent


Heh. Figures someone who is indifferent gets auto-luv. I'm soo focused on credit cards now that I find myself peering over people's shoulders to see what cards they are paying with. I saw a guy today paying with an american express jet blue card that I never even knew existed before. Its only a matter of time before I confronted by someone for staring at their cards.


Exactly!  He just does not care.  And he actually becomes annoyed with me when I remind him to use a certain card for gas and another for grocery stores and another for restaurants.

 

You are not alone in your obsession!

 

FICOs: TU08 850 EQ08 850 EX08 849

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; BofA Visa $10.1K; BofA TR Visa $18K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Amex $25K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sallie Mae WMC $17.5K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Walmart Discover $10K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Moderator

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


red259 wrote:

CribDuchess wrote:

armbenderc wrote:
Lol he just shrug his should and talk about meeting..... I think I need to start carrying balance. Lol

LOL  Yeah, I'm starting to think that, too.  It's just so weird to me - the card is only used one time in 5 months and it's had a balance at every statement and yet they give an auto-CLI.  Chase is bizarre!!


Maybe Chase thinks he is putting all his spend on other cards and they are trying to entice him back. I use a different card than my Freedom to show a balance to CRAs in the hopes that Chase will see that and get jealous and up my limit. In reality I put very little on that card and put most my spend on the freedom, but they don't need to know that.


I'm hoping I back into that scenario with Chase with regards to a CSP or similar application; however, but I'm expecting whenever I do apply for one of Chase's better cards I'm going to have to explain why I haven't been using my Freedom substantially.  I certainly don't expect Chase to shift me out of my second-gear limit automagically on that card.

 

Edit: Both EX and EQ I believe report payments as well as balance, most banks with the possible exception of Barclay's know very well what we're charging per month to each card.  Probably TU does as well but may not report it on the consumer version of the report.

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


Revelate wrote:

Laugh, I'm sorry Duchess but I can completely empathize and I find it ironically hilarious in either of our cases.

 

The only card I've ever gotten an auto-CLI on was the one card I *never* want an auto-CLI on (Walmart).   I'm rapidly coming to a conclusion I'm not going to get where I want without chasing it explicitly, wrapping my arms around Amex as a result even if it's "stupid" from a rewards perspective.  Will be still using the Amex for gas next quarter rather than the 5% Freedom, just trying to pad the account for my next 3X CLI shot.

 


I can definitely find the humor in all of it.  I had to post about it here because many people here would understand where I'm coming from.

 

I completely understand your need to spend on the Amex and position yourself for another 3x CLI.  At least the BCE/BCP do have the gas rewards, although not 5% like Freedom.

FICOs: TU08 850 EQ08 850 EX08 849

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; BofA Visa $10.1K; BofA TR Visa $18K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Amex $25K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sallie Mae WMC $17.5K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Walmart Discover $10K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


CribDuchess wrote:

I talked my DH into app'ing for a Chase Freedom card this past January.  He was instantly approved for a starting CL of $4,000.  So he's had the card for 5 months and today I happened to log into his Chase accounts to make his car payment and I happened to notice that his credit limit on the Freedom was now $6300 instead of $4000.  So that's an increase of $2300!!  Nice!!  The funny thing is that he has only used this card once - he bought tires for his car in February for about $700.  We have just been paying $100 per month on the account and it still has a balance of about $300 (using the promo 0% APR).  No other use whatsoever.

 

Meanwhile, I made him and our son an AU on my Freedom and we typically charge around $2000 per month on that card.  Have PIF'd every month prior to statement cutting.  I was approved for my Freedom back in November, so my account is a couple months older than his.  But no auto-LUV on my account!  Bahhhhh!!

 

The sad part is that when I told him about the $2300 auto-LUV, he didn't even get excited - he just shrugged his shoulders and then started talking about a meeting he had at work today.  Smiley Indifferent


Congrats To DH by way of you 

Shrugged Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


Revelate wrote:

red259 wrote:

CribDuchess wrote:

armbenderc wrote:
Lol he just shrug his should and talk about meeting..... I think I need to start carrying balance. Lol

LOL  Yeah, I'm starting to think that, too.  It's just so weird to me - the card is only used one time in 5 months and it's had a balance at every statement and yet they give an auto-CLI.  Chase is bizarre!!


Maybe Chase thinks he is putting all his spend on other cards and they are trying to entice him back. I use a different card than my Freedom to show a balance to CRAs in the hopes that Chase will see that and get jealous and up my limit. In reality I put very little on that card and put most my spend on the freedom, but they don't need to know that.


I'm hoping I back into that scenario with Chase with regards to a CSP or similar application; however, but I'm expecting whenever I do apply for one of Chase's better cards I'm going to have to explain why I haven't been using my Freedom substantially.  I certainly don't expect Chase to shift me out of my second-gear limit automagically on that card.

 

Edit: Both EX and EQ I believe report payments as well as balance, most banks with the possible exception of Barclay's know very well what we're charging per month to each card.  Probably TU does as well but may not report it on the consumer version of the report.


I think arguing for a CSP over a Freedom can be fairly simple (assuming your freedom is not a visa sig). My arguement will be that I need a solid travel card, a card I can use at restaurants, a card that has no foreign fee for international travel, a visa sig that I can use on car rentals and that I need a warranty of my larger purchases. Its absolutely true that for certain things I have to put the expenses through on my Venture because I need the visa sig benefits, when I would prefer to have used my Freedom.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 826 4/16/17, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Moderator

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


red259 wrote:

I think arguing for a CSP over a Freedom can be fairly simple (assuming your freedom is not a visa sig). My arguement will be that I need a solid travel card, a card I can use at restaurants, a card that has no foreign fee for international travel, a visa sig that I can use on car rentals and that I need a warranty of my larger purchases. Its absolutely true that for certain things I have to put the expenses through on my Venture because I need the visa sig benefits, when I would prefer to have used my Freedom.


That's the bulk of my rationale for picking up a CSP, though the other bit in my case would simply be the fact I don't like rotating reward structures.  

 

Ugh, that reminds me, in addition to getting a better suited travel card for future reasons, need to pickup a non-suck suit shortly since getting kicked to NYC for a while and likely international two years out if I'm still with my current employer.  More non-trivial expenses to drive currently through my Amex Cat Tongue

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI


Revelate wrote:

red259 wrote:

I think arguing for a CSP over a Freedom can be fairly simple (assuming your freedom is not a visa sig). My arguement will be that I need a solid travel card, a card I can use at restaurants, a card that has no foreign fee for international travel, a visa sig that I can use on car rentals and that I need a warranty of my larger purchases. Its absolutely true that for certain things I have to put the expenses through on my Venture because I need the visa sig benefits, when I would prefer to have used my Freedom.


That's the bulk of my rationale for picking up a CSP, though the other bit in my case would simply be the fact I don't like rotating reward structures.  

 

Ugh, that reminds me, in addition to getting a better suited travel card for future reasons, need to pickup a non-suck suit shortly since getting kicked to NYC for a while and likely international two years out if I'm still with my current employer.  More non-trivial expenses to drive currently through my Amex Cat Tongue


Someday I hope to have an Amex.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 826 4/16/17, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Auto-CLI

If it makes you feel better, I've had my card for almost a year and no auto luv for me either...LOL.

As of 2017, rebuilding...