cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom -- denied, APPROVED AFTER RECON!

tag
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom -- denied, worth a recon?

@laboi_22 wrote:
You should call to recon again. Chase can take up to 3 calls before successful recon. Call them again tomorrow. Don't give up. Don't waste the HP!

We can request a recon more than once? 

Problem is, I'm not sure what I can tell them differently than today which would change the decision. They asked me my about my income, and was put on a brief hold. She came back and told me she wasn't able to over turn :/ 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 11 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eschaton wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:
You should call to recon again. Chase can take up to 3 calls before successful recon. Call them again tomorrow. Don't give up. Don't waste the HP!

Problem is, I'm not sure what I can tell them differently than today which would change the decision. They asked me my about my income, and was put on a brief hold. She came back and told me she wasn't able to over turn :/ 

It's not about telling them anything different. It's just about getting a new rep who may be more willing to approve you.
Message 12 of 52
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Eschaton wrote:

@laboi_22 wrote:

It's not about telling them anything different. It's just about getting a new rep who may be more willing to approve you.

exactly, maybe one in a approving mood!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

You were denied for fairly innocuous things. In another thread, someone posted a good line to use: "The automatic system denied me for too many inquiries and some other small things. I was hoping a real person could take a look at my application." Hope it works for you. Although your age is short, its not bad and the other 2 things are really non-factors IMO.

Message 14 of 52
casi218
Valued Member

Definitely call back! I don't want to give false hope but I had basically the same situation and had to call and recon 3 times! The third person finally gave me the green light Smiley Wink My utilization was lower but my score was too. Like you, I also had a shorter AAoA but had 12 inq's!!! However 6 of those were for a car loan. I agree with others and say don't waste the HP! It can't hurt to try again!! The first call I made they told me no way and to call back once I paid on the cards I had for a year or so. Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

@Eschaton wrote:

Hi guys, I just got denied by Chase Freedom, I thought I'd apply because of all the success I've seen lately.

I was denied for: 

Length of time on accounts that have been established (1 year 3 months)

Too many inquiries in the last 12 months (2, 1 from a credit union to open an account and one from Amex)

Balances too high compared to credit limites (20% utilization)

My question is, is it worth trying to recon this? I kind of expected the denial because my low history

They pulled EX and said my score was 728.

Message 15 of 52
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

How'd you manage to call 3 times...

2nd time around, I was told "sir, looks like we already looked at this", i panicked and basically said I was sorry for calling lol Smiley Frustrated

third time, a different day, the lady actually looked at my file. and gave me the same reason the 1st lady gave me.

The only bad thing I see about your profile is that your aaoa is low. the inquires are bs 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 16 of 52
FrugalRican
Blogger

Casi was one of the people I told to call at least twice.

I'll be honest with you, OP, you got denied on very shaky grounds. You're score is good enough and your utilization isn't really that high for a Freedom. And just 2 INQ's? To be honest, and this is an informal opinion... I'm betting it's that AMEX INQ that probably is stinging them.

I got approved for a Freedom with a lower score than you and with a higher utilization.

Call again. Who cares if they get upset, it's just a stranger on another part of the planet who will never hear from you again.

If anything, you can always just say: I figured I'd give it a shot, besides, you sounded friendly.

What's the worst they can say? NO.

Meh. I've gotten NO'S from more important people.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 17 of 52
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I'll be honest with you, OP, you got denied on very shaky grounds. You're score is good enough and your utilization isn't really that high for a Freedom. And just 2 INQ's? To be honest, and this is an informal opinion... I'm betting it's that AMEX INQ that probably is stinging them.

I got approved for a Freedom with a lower score than you and with a higher utilization.

Call again. Who cares if they get upset, it's just a stranger on another part of the planet who will never hear from you again.

If anything, you can always just say: I figured I'd give it a shot, besides, you sounded friendly.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 52
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

You're right Smiley Happy I'm going to try three times.

The worse they can do is say no, and I end up gardening for a year or two and apply to Citi or Discover. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 19 of 52
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Only two inq's and a score of 720+? Definitely call and recon again. Somebody's got to be able to push that thing through!

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.