Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Hyatt Approval - Step 2 of 3

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Chase Hyatt Approval - Step 2 of 3

Got the Chase Marriott card at the end of December, $6k limit, working near the end of that spend requirement for the bonus. As I read more about the value of the points earned, however, The Points Guy thinks the Marriott points are worth about 0.6 to 0.7 tenths of a cent. Not 6 cents, two points to make up one cent.

Hyatt on the other hand is more like 2 cents per point. If you look at the conversion ratio for Diners Club Rewards points, this looks to be the same thing: From 1,000 Diners Club Rewards points you get 1,000 Delta miles, or a lot more Marriott Points, or a lot less Hyatt points, because the Hyatt points are more valuable.

So why not cut to the chase and just get the Hyatt card and earn points that are each worth closer to 2 cents?

I recently set up a Hyatt Gold Passport account, and then got an email recently encouraging me to app for the Hyatt Chase card. Chase and I go way back, from mergers they did I've had like 6 different cards with them. All but two were closed for various reasons as of October 2014.

The first app I did was for the Marriott, in December. Nice approval, $6k, it's a black and steel card, so there is that Smiley Happy

Step two now, I was worried about the Hyatt app. Pulled the trigger this morning, instant approved for $12k. Knocked my socks off. Soon to be one of my go-to cards.

Step three, to be done in late February, is to follow up the postal mailing I got with a promo for the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card, 50,000 miles bonus. This one also has an expiration date of Feb 28, thus the scheduling out. This was originally going to be my second (and last) chase card for a while.

I know I've added quite a few cards in the last few months, particularly poking the Chase bear three times in a row, but these hotel cards have the annual free night, so they are almost like no AF cards. And I'm presuming the banks look favorably on that AF. Many of the other cards I have, I really like, but I'm working rapidly to pay down balances, taking advantage of low interest BT offers, and once those BT offers are gone, my spend to support 17 cards (after the United card I will have 17 active cards) just is not there, so I'm going to be closing some. Two US Bank cards for sure. If another bank does AA, so be it, but I'm not really worried about them, I don't think there are others who will close accounts because their risk is so low right now.

Anyway, I'm really happy I got the Hyatt out of the way. Like I said, a new go-to card, particularly for dining.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Hyatt Approval - Step 2 of 3

Grats on your Hyatt approval, excellent CL Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 3 of 13
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

The value of Marriott points really depends on when and where you redeem them.  They can be worth very little or a lot depending on the hotel and when you book.  When we went to Disney World the Marriott we stayed at was booking rooms at considerably inflated prices which made our point cash out turn out to be an excellent redemption rate. 

Message 4 of 13
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 6 of 13
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Congrats
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 8 of 13
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Message 9 of 13
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Hyatt sounds like a wonderful Chase card to have. Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.